New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Question Mark in Toolbar

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drjimmy

drjimmy is on a distinguished road

First I'd like to say I'm a relative newbie. I bought my first ever mac book pro just this last June. I can swear on my grandmothers grave I will never EVER switch back to PC. Why did I wait!
OK, on to my question. While learning about my macs finder app, I dragged a couple apps into the toolbar of the finder window so I could just click on them and not have to go to the apps folder to launch them. They were simple apps that gave me side by side views etc. The problem is that I dragged them from my downloads folder and not from my apps folder. So now that I have deleted the apps from the downloads folder, thinking I had also saved them in my apps folder, there are question marks where the app logo used to be. When I click on them it says "the item cannot be found" Is there any way to find out what app the question mark is trying to find? I liked one but the other I'm not sorry I lost. I cannot seem to be able to delete the question mark or find out what it is looking for. Am I stuck with these marks forever?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

right click on the ? and select 'remove item...'

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
drjimmy

OMG duh! Ok I know how to remove it now. Anyway to find out the name of the app it was looking for? Some sort of details list? One of them was really cool in that it would instantly make my current finder window into two. either top and bottom or side by side. I know I can open two then spend a few minutes resizing them manually, but this app would do it in one click. Thanks for the lighting reply by the way. This is way I love my new mac. People are so willing to help!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Not familiar with any Finder add-ons/plug-ins.

You can try muCommander - free, or Disk Order - free trial and pretty slick app

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
drjimmy

thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully I will be well enough versed in mac knowledge that I can contribute someday. thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
b2squared

b2squared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
right click on the ? and select 'remove item...'
Macs don't have a right click. What do you mean?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2squared View Post
Macs don't have a right click. What do you mean?
Yes they do...just depends on what sort of mouse you're using. In the "old days"...yes you're right. Mac's didn't have a right click. But we've been able to do right clicks on Mac's for years & years now.

On a newer Macintosh laptops...a "right-click" is a simultaneous two finger-tip tap on the trackpad.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You can also Control-Click which simulates a right-click. For the trackpad "right-click", you may need to enable it in the Trackpad System Preferences prefpane. Open it up and make sure "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click" is checked (I've no idea if that's checked by default or not).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
b2squared

b2squared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Yes they do...just depends on what sort of mouse you're using. In the "old days"...yes you're right. Mac's didn't have a right click. But we've been able to do right clicks on Mac's for years & years now.

On a newer Macintosh laptops...a "right-click" is a simultaneous two finger-tip tap on the trackpad.

- Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
You can also Control-Click which simulates a right-click. For the trackpad "right-click", you may need to enable it in the Trackpad System Preferences prefpane. Open it up and make sure "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click" is checked (I've no idea if that's checked by default or not).
Well, what do you know, it worked. Thank you. I'm on a newer Macbook, I had no idea. Thank you so much!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Display mail by date reveived | Desktop image wont save - keeps changing back to defaul »