New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

My entire mac partition disappeared

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Abrexas

Abrexas is on a distinguished road

Sorry, this may tiek some time to read. But I really need some help with this.

So I had a windows vista partition my mac (which I have done before) And i guess my key ran out or something. So a friend of mine gave me a Windows 7 disc. I couldn't get it to just boot from disc, so i logged onto my mac partition and tried to delete the windows partitions (also something I have done before). Like usual it gave me a hard time.
Eventually I got the 45 gigs thats I assigned to windows to erase all data. I then decided to restart my computer with alt held so I could chose the empty partition and boot from cd there. To my surprise I found that I can no longer chose 'MAC OS X'
This doesnt make sense because I didn't touch the mac partition. I didnt format to single partition. I payed special attention to not messing with any of the mac data. So with no options i loaded the empty 45 gig partition and was able to book windows 7. When the setup asked what partition to chose for windows 7 I saw that my once mac partition is now an unnamed partition that has nearly as much free space as overall capacity.
I am currently installing windows 7 on my 45 gig partition so I have something to use. But what are my options now? Is it possible to restore my mac setting? and If not, how do i go about potting Mac OSX back on my computer?
Thanks you very much in advanced, and I really hope this doesnt happen to anyone else. Its starting to seem like I will lose everything I had on my comp
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

You've erased your mac partition.
Your options are to install from your install disc/discs, or restore from your backup (assuming you have either or both, which you should)!
Are you running OS X 10.5 or later?
If so, you should follow this guide.
Using Boot Camp to install Windows 7 on your Mac: The Complete Walkthrough – Simple Help

Without a backup, and/or install discs you should never mess with partitions, or make any major changes to your system.
Without install discs, a bootable backup is essential!
Backups are essential regardless as a safe guard even if you have install discs, as if the hard drive dies, you can pretty much say goodbye to everything on it.
Moral of the story is, I hope you have a back up.
QUOTE Thanks
Abrexas

Abrexas is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. But unfortunately I do not have a backup. But i do have the statup discs. I not have everything set up again, but my old data is all gone. I'll have to deal with it though. I plan to buy an external and make a backup on it asap.
Again, thanks for the reply.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Excessive Beachball | which discs are required? »