Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    menace3054
    Guest
    Problems with Imac & Airport after Tiger Install
    I think my GF got a defective IMAC, but it continuoulsy has problems with the airport.. When she first got it, it had problems connecting. I just installed Tiger On her machine, and now it wont connect to the network. It recognizes it, but just says
    "There was an error connecting to the network"

    now shes ready to kill me because she thinks i broke it, any ideas?

  2. #2

    iWhat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 11, 2004
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Posts
    5,736
    Specs:
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    Is the iMac the only computer not connecting to the Airport Base or do you have other computers that work just fine with it? Do you have any encryption enabled on the Airport Base? If so, disable it for now, and then see if it connects after that.

  3. #3
    menace3054
    Guest
    i tried disabling the encryption, still didnt work. Reset the modem, router, still didnt work. Then i hard-reseted the router and tried running steup from the imac, and it said there was an error trying to connect. so somethings up with that imac, this is the same problem it gave me when we first got it, but then magically went away until now.

  4. #4

    iWhat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 11, 2004
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Posts
    5,736
    Specs:
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    Maybe, you should try a different channel. You never know, if you might be getting a interference. Is the base station next the any cordless phones, cell phones, microwaves, because they will all operate on the same frequency as the router.

  5. #5
    menace3054
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iWhat
    Maybe, you should try a different channel. You never know, if you might be getting a interference. Is the base station next the any cordless phones, cell phones, microwaves, because they will all operate on the same frequency as the router.

    its not like "near" anything, but there are cordless phones running in the house. i have the comp and the router set to interference robustness. i just opened the imac and tried reseating the airport card, i doubt it will do anything

  6. #6
    menace3054
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by menace3054
    its not like "near" anything, but there are cordless phones running in the house. i have the comp and the router set to interference robustness. i just opened the imac and tried reseating the airport card, i doubt it will do anything

    i just tried starting it in safe mode, the **** thing sounded like it was getting ready to explode.. i guess ill have to call apple... but like i said i honeslty think the computer as a whole has issues.. it makes a **** of a lot of noise, and its kinda slow. I think im going to bring it to apple tomorrow and make them fix it. thanks for your help

  7. #7

    iWhat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 11, 2004
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Posts
    5,736
    Specs:
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    Yeah, I'm running into dead ends here too. You might also what to take the Airport Base Station with you, if they do determine that there is nothing wrong with the iMac.

    Edit: How close is the iMac to the Airport Base Station?

  8. #8
    menace3054
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iWhat
    Yeah, I'm running into dead ends here too. You might also what to take the Airport Base Station with you, if they do determine that there is nothing wrong with the iMac.

    Edit: How close is the iMac to the Airport Base Station?
    2, 3 feet at the most. honestly, i think it might be the base station.. my brother has problems connecting his computer to it too and I thought it was just becuase he had a crappy pc

  9. #9
    menace3054
    Guest
    tech support closes? thats weak

  10. #10

    iWhat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 11, 2004
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Posts
    5,736
    Specs:
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    Quote Originally Posted by menace3054
    2, 3 feet at the most. honestly, i think it might be the base station.. my brother has problems connecting his computer to it too and I thought it was just becuase he had a crappy pc
    Yeah, it seems like you found your problem then, unfortunately. neye: It might not be the iMac, because at least it did see the wireless signal, and it did connect for awhile like you said.

  11. #11

    Reflow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 28, 2005
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by menace3054
    its not like "near" anything, but there are cordless phones running in the house. i have the comp and the router set to interference robustness. i just opened the imac and tried reseating the airport card, i doubt it will do anything
    Menace3054,

    What is the frequency of the cordless phone is it 2.4ghz because I installed a wireless camara 2.4ghz for my home outside and everytime it went off the garage door would open up. It took me 2 day to figure it uses the same frequency as the camara. Hmmmmmmmmmmm make you think why every wireless device is 2.4ghz
    [

  12. #12
    badmojo
    Guest
    Sounds like it could be the router to me. Before Apple starts diging around I suggest you go pick up a new router and plug it in. They're notorious for "going out" and not maintaining a signal, and they're pretty inexpensive. If you test with a new "G" router and the imac still won't connect, then you know it's probably the mac. If it works, your g/f will be happy again and you'll get rewarded.

    note: I've been through three routers in < 2 years, failing here and there.

  13. #13
    badmojo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflow
    Menace3054,

    What is the frequency of the cordless phone is it 2.4ghz because I installed a wireless camara 2.4ghz for my home outside and everytime it went off the garage door would open up. It took me 2 day to figure it uses the same frequency as the camara. Hmmmmmmmmmmm make you think why every wireless device is 2.4ghz
    Rofl! Not laughing at you...just with you.

  14. #14
    mrme
    Guest
    i'm having the same problem.

    when i restart my computer the imac can connect to the network but if the comp wakes from sleep, it can't connect with the same error msg as menace3054. it can detect the network but can't connect.

    Now i know there is nothing wrong with the airport express as my palm can use the network. theres obviously nothing wrong with the airport express card as its working now. my dsl modem is directly connected to the airport, so no routers.

    i think there is a software problem somewhere here.

    i'm running Tiger with my imac G5

    someone please solve this (it's really annoying to have to restart computer every time - reminds me of windows)

  15. #15
    mrme
    Guest
    i found a solution - remove the old "location" in network preferences and make another one.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Install Tiger on iMac G3
    By Kolpitcke in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-22-2010, 08:43 PM
  2. Cant install Tiger in my iMac G3
    By Macisbetter4you in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 08:40 PM
  3. Tiger (10.4.6) Install Problems (on G4)
    By martigras in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 11:44 AM
  4. Tiger X install problems,anyone? Comments?
    By iNAP in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 06-28-2005, 08:19 AM
  5. Tiger X install problems,anyone? Comments?
    By iNAP in forum Community Suggestions and Feedback
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-30-2005, 01:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •