New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS utilities

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

1peter57

1peter57 is on a distinguished road

I am new to the Mac after 10+ yrs on the PC. I have a "Windows Registry" mentality and know all too well how it can become filled with junk entries after multiple app installs and uninstalls.

How does this work in the Mac world? Are there any good utilities that can clean up OSX? Get rid of unecessary and/or junk files?

Any good application uninstall apps?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The only real thing you need to do, and it's not that overly important, is to run the Unix CRON scripts (Daily, Weekly or Monthly, I only run Monthly myself). You can use an App like Cocktail to do it for you, or you can learn the Unix command lines and do it from the terminal. You can run Disc Utility and Repair your permissions every once in a while but I don't think that really buys you much in terms of stability of maintenance.

Other than that there is no Registry equivalent on a Mac.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

OSX has No Registry, no DLL's. Very boring OS for people used to fighting with the registry!

There are maintenance apps like Onyx that many here at Mac Forums run from time to time.

There are several Uninstallers. With most apps (Unlike Windows) just throw the application in the trash and it's gone. Unlike Windows OSX Apps are all self contained. There are a few files (small config and data) that might get left behind, and if you want to get rid of them you can either do it manually or use an Uninstaller App like AppCleaner which is free or AppDelete which costs a little.

Other than running Onyx, there is not normally much maintenance to do in OSX.

I hope that helps you a bit!

Baggss sort of beat me to it. Cocktail is another little App like Onyx to run the chron scripts and clean up a few things.
QUOTE Thanks
1peter57

1peter57 is on a distinguished road

Thanks...

I checked out this Onyx utility and was wondering how most folks use it. What options should I select to run?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Running Mac OS X Maintenance Scripts

When deleting applications, you just simply need to drag them to the trash.
If an application comes with an uninstaller, then it is best to use that.
You can use applications like AppCleaner and AppZapper to delete apps, but on occasion, certain files that are needed for multiple applications may end up in the trash when using those apps, so it's good to be sure that you double check all the files that come up when using those applications to uninstall.
You can also look into applications like Onyx Titanium Software and Mainmenu MainMenu 1.7.4 which are both good maintenance applications.
It's always good to run disk permission repairs before and after any major software installations, and any upgrades.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I'll prob get beaten to it while typing again, but for me, I use main menu, primarily to clean caches when I feel like it, and occasionally run batch tasks.
I think it is a preference thing, much as I'm sure over time, you will find your own to suit you.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2009-11-27 at 10.08.31 AM.png (80.3 KB, 9 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

that's about all I do.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Here's where I recommend starting with Onyx.
Similar to the MainMenu screen from 6string.

You can add the fonts if you play around with them.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2009-11-26 at 5.49.58 PM.png (90.4 KB, 13 views)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS is not starting up | problems after snow leopard install failure »