New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Safari always crashes under 10.4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fabio

man.

slowly but surely i'm gonna hate safari!

since tiger is installed (love it) i can't open safari throught the dock, nor the finder.

i have to lunch dashboard, turn a widget with a URL on the back, for example the flight tracker, and clickt the bookmark.

after average 3 times clicking on a widget's bookmark, safari is able to start.

i've done now over three permission repairs.

i don't want to use firefox of cause its ugly form fields (such input text, radio buttons) and the problem with rendering tiny text in anti-aliasing.

so, what can i do to get my safari worked?
QUOTE Thanks
ravenstor

i'm finding safari very slow under tiger its opening but i have to refresh to get it going..hmm

otherwise tiger is very good and spotlight rocks.
QUOTE Thanks
kabwon

im gna wait till 10.2
QUOTE Thanks
fabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabwon
im gna wait till 10.2
???

we've got 10.4
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Maybe you could use Pacifist to extract Safari from the cd and reinstall it.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabio
???

we've got 10.4
lol ! maybe he means 10.4.2 ???
QUOTE Thanks
mikeazorin

I suggest you look for the Safari package on the installation DVD, and install it again.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Did you repair permissions are the install of Tiger?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Plus how did you install it you guys? For those that safari works great, did you do a clean install? archive install? etc? What about those of you that it is not working.. what did you do?
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Plus how did you install it you guys? For those that safari works great, did you do a clean install? archive install? etc? What about those of you that it is not working.. what did you do?
I did a straight upograde on my Mini from 10.3.8 -> Tiger and everything works exceedingly well, this is an awesome OS!

On my iMac on 10.2.8 I tried the upgrade and ended up with an unbootable mess, I then tried disk repair and reinstall with the same results. I've just tried an archive install and am waiting for it to re-boot .....

.... still waiting .....

.... and it works, yay!

Now I'll go find out how well it has installed on the iMac (1Ghz G4 version).

btw, did I mention how much I love this OS, it is noticably faster on my Mini and it really has some great new features. On top of that I've yet to find any problems with third party software, everything that was already installed prior to the upgrade still seems to be working and I didn't need to repair the disk or anything.

btw2, I really recommend playing around with the RSS feed features on Safari, they are pretty darn cool.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

OK, this is me posting from the iMac, everything seems fine and dandy here as well. Not sure what went wrong with the upgrade but the archive install worked like a dream.

Safari seems ok at first glance (well I'm typing this in it at least) but everything is a wee bit slow at the moment because spotlight is busy indexing my 86,000+ files and I'm also downloading a 56Mb game demo.

Even after saying that I can still detect a speed up even on this machine (256Mb 1Ghz G4 iMac) compared to before but it was running 10.2.8 before so I would expect as much.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

LOL, as soon as I had posted that Safari crashed.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

I did just a plain ol upgrade and Safari seems to be working just fine so far, i have been up over an hour and have been to quite a few web sites using Safari and have seen no slowdowns or crashes yet anyway.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
fabio

i did a "archive and install" installation of tiger.

perhaps i'll have to say, that since the 10.3.9 when safari 1.3 was installed, safari also crashed always.
safari 1.3 crashed only, when i closed a window.

than i installed safari 1.2 again.
than it worked again, but several strings appeared as "localized string not found".

so, when i installed tiger, the system was on 10.3.9 but safari was on 1.2

could this be the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
I was going to do an Archive and Intall, but I was in a hurry, so on my Mac Mini with 10.3.9 and 1GB RAM, I did a straight Upgrade. Did not have any problems at all. It rebooted into Tiger and everything works great. I used Safari for at least an hour, Read Anand's Tiger Review, and did a lot of other searches and not one crash or problem with Safari at all. Tiger is Great. Wish I had a Mac with a Video Card that supported Core Image but it will do! I got to see it on a Dual G5 and when adding Wiggets to Dashboard, there was this neat and SMOOTH water like effect. The mini with the ATI 9200 will not do that effect but seems just as smooth overall. Oh well, someday I will be able to afford a G5!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Two problems so far with Tiger | Couple questions on Spotlight »