New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Error Code -36

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ateo

Ateo is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook and a shiny new iMac. I can successfully copy files from my MacBook to my network share but am unable to copy some files from my iMac to the same exact network share.

The network share is fine. Obviously, since the MacBook has no issues. I've noticed that files I open and modify on the iMac are the ones I cannot send to the network share without the error code -36 (that's negative 36). This is not the case on the MacBook.

In particular, I have some XCode projects on my network share. I copied them to my iMac to work on then I wanted to "back up my work" at the end of the day by simply copying the files back to the network share. It is here I get this error:

Code:
The Finder can't complete the operation because some
data in "Picker" can't be read or written.
(Error code -36)
"Picker" is my working directory. This issue is obviously the iMac (unless I'm reading this issue completely wrong) as both the MacBook and the iMac are running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (with all updates).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

-36 is an IO error... Probably related, in this case, to network disturbances.. I humbly suggest trying the copy using command line rather than the GUI, in my experience that has been more resilient when copying large quantities of files.

Mac OS System Error Codes: 0 to -261 <--- list of - apple errors

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Ateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
-36 is an IO error... Probably related, in this case, to network disturbances.. I humbly suggest trying the copy using command line rather than the GUI, in my experience that has been more resilient when copying large quantities of files.

Mac OS System Error Codes: 0 to -261 <--- list of - apple errors
Sorry, I should have noted that I can copy from terminal. However, I'm interested in resolving the GUI issue. I guess I just have to accept this error -36.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I think the GUI has some timing issues that the terminal simply doesn't. I'm not exactly sure why... if you find out the resolution I'd be interested to know.. but I'm a CLI guy anyway

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Ateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
I think the GUI has some timing issues that the terminal simply doesn't. I'm not exactly sure why... if you find out the resolution I'd be interested to know.. but I'm a CLI guy anyway
I'm a linux server admin, so I've some *nix background. But..... a big giant but... I bought this iMac so I wouldn't have to open terminal, but I guess.. SURPRISE!!! hehe...
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

yea, I'm a recovering *nix admin.. and now dev

and I'm still more comfortable in terminal than anywhere else.. old habits die hard

One thing, I've had to WORK on maintaining this thing a lot less.

BTW, you'll find that OS X (and really BSD) are more like AIX than linux.. in that there are configuration databases maintained.. rather than flat files

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mount network share at boot | How to back up my system? »