New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How many keyboard shortcuts have you memorized?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterPussyCat View Post
Lets refine this.

As a rule of thumb. One should know at least as many as their age up to 50.
After that, additional shortcut memory should take into account years spent on a computer (15 per year) and skill level: Min 10 for those considered computer illiterate (of all ages And years spent on a computer doesn't count), for intermediate users it is age + years on computer , for advanced users it is age + years on computer + 45, any thing above that is bonus.

So, by that logic, I should know 31(age) + 135 (9 years on computer * 15) = 166

Only about 156 left to go. Is there any chance this rule of thumb will catch on?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterPussyCat View Post
Okay, sorry about trying to create a 'standard', I took a class on memory last year. I guess it seemed like an occasion to use what I learned (systematic studies and what not), I did originally start this thread for fun. Sorry to be a bummer.

It is interesting getting a sample of who uses shortcuts and who doesn't. But now that I think of it, I know people who have been in IT for decades who probably don't know for than a dozen or two.
Right.

I use what I get used to, and have no idea how many I use regularly. If there's a menu button or even a pull-down, I'll probably go there first. It's only a shortcut if it saves time. We're creatures of habit. Once the habit of going to the menu or button is formed, it would take longer to find the shortcut (in my brain first, then on the keyboard).
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I know shortcuts for programs that don't exist anymore. I think I should get extra credit for those.
QUOTE Thanks
ArrowJ

ArrowJ is on a distinguished road

can you share the .pdf with seven pages of shortcuts? I made a wallpaper image once composed of shortcuts, but it didn't really help...I just don't use that many...cut, copy, paste, screenshots, volume, brightness, cmd + tab

Speaking of shortcuts...does anyone know why they moved away from the apple key to the command key? I wish I had and apple key on my MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
Speaking of shortcuts...does anyone know why they moved away from the apple key to the command key? I wish I had and apple key on my MBP.
It's the same key on my dormant ADB keyboard. It's the counterpart to the ALt key in Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Sticky Thread: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...hort-cuts.html

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I know way too many shortcuts and I ise them every day. But cause of it go on a windows PC and am like "now why does command Q work and hey where is this command key. Ah this is a PC, takes a while for the penny to drop". I have to use the menus at the top when I use XP or W7 or whatever cause I'm so used to the Mac shortcuts.
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

cmd+space is all you'll ever need

@ the OP ... don't be crazy memorizing shortcuts just off several pages, kinda pointless, look through for those that you actually need or will help you

@FasterPussyCat ... nice math
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I learn one a day, and forget two a day.... I'm getting so far behind that there aren't enough keys on my keyboard!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting to Wireless Network with domain name and proxy servers? | Covert Safari Plugin won't load or uninstall »