Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterPussyCat View Post
    Lets refine this.

As a rule of thumb. One should know at least as many as their age up to 50.
    After that, additional shortcut memory should take into account years spent on a computer (15 per year) and skill level: Min 10 for those considered computer illiterate (of all ages And years spent on a computer doesn't count), for intermediate users it is age + years on computer , for advanced users it is age + years on computer + 45, any thing above that is bonus.

So, by that logic, I should know 31(age) + 135 (9 years on computer * 15) = 166

Only about 156 left to go. Is there any chance this rule of thumb will catch on?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by FasterPussyCat View Post
    Okay, sorry about trying to create a 'standard', I took a class on memory last year. I guess it seemed like an occasion to use what I learned (systematic studies and what not), I did originally start this thread for fun. Sorry to be a bummer.

It is interesting getting a sample of who uses shortcuts and who doesn't. But now that I think of it, I know people who have been in IT for decades who probably don't know for than a dozen or two.
    Right.

I use what I get used to, and have no idea how many I use regularly. If there's a menu button or even a pull-down, I'll probably go there first. It's only a shortcut if it saves time. We're creatures of habit. Once the habit of going to the menu or button is formed, it would take longer to find the shortcut (in my brain first, then on the keyboard).

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    I know shortcuts for programs that don't exist anymore. I think I should get extra credit for those.

can you share the .pdf with seven pages of shortcuts? I made a wallpaper image once composed of shortcuts, but it didn't really help...I just don't use that many...cut, copy, paste, screenshots, volume, brightness, cmd + tab

Speaking of shortcuts...does anyone know why they moved away from the apple key to the command key? I wish I had and apple key on my MBP.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
    Speaking of shortcuts...does anyone know why they moved away from the apple key to the command key? I wish I had and apple key on my MBP.
    It's the same key on my dormant ADB keyboard. It's the counterpart to the ALt key in Windows.

Specs:
    MacBook

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    I know way too many shortcuts and I ise them every day. But cause of it go on a windows PC and am like "now why does command Q work and hey where is this command key. Ah this is a PC, takes a while for the penny to drop". I have to use the menus at the top when I use XP or W7 or whatever cause I'm so used to the Mac shortcuts.

Specs:
    2,4Ghz 15" unibody
    cmd+space is all you'll ever need

@ the OP ... don't be crazy memorizing shortcuts just off several pages, kinda pointless, look through for those that you actually need or will help you

@FasterPussyCat ... nice math

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    I learn one a day, and forget two a day.... I'm getting so far behind that there aren't enough keys on my keyboard!

Thread Information