New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

No further OS X.4 Tiger support

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

What a downer this is and here is a link to this story:-

Apple ends support for Tiger systems, no clear PowerPC upgrade path remains | 9 to 5 Mac

More and more of this planned obsolescence?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Nothing new. We knew Apple would discontinue support for 10.4 once 10.6 came out. We knew 10.6 would be Intel-only.

For those of you whose crystal balls are still cloudy, support for 10.5 will be dropped when (and if) 10.7 comes out. And support for 10.6 will be dropped when (and if) 10.8 comes out.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Tech, you say When and If on 10.7 and above. You know something you are not saying? Like Google Chrome OS except OSX all on the net?

The announcement by Google yesterday was dead on to what I knew Chrome OS was going to be. I sure hope Apple is not planning the same road to all your data on the net.

On 10.4 Tiger. There was one last update not long ago and I was pretty sure that would be it. They always seem to support 2 versions like Tech said, current and last version.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
The announcement by Google yesterday was dead on to what I knew Chrome OS was going to be. I sure hope Apple is not planning the same road to all your data on the net.
I agree. At that point I would be open to switching to another computing platform.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I agree. At that point I would be open to switching to another computing platform.
Sadly likewise!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Looks like there are a lot of us not willing to put all of our trust/info in the cloud.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
More and more of this planned obsolescence?
I seriously dislike it when people use the term "planned obsolescence".
They make it sound like it's some sort of grand conspiracy against consumers.
Manufacturers don't release something while being fully aware that the upgrade is already scheduled for a certain time.

This happened not because the OS writers "planned" it that way, but rather it's simply because technology is an ever advancing field.
That's just the way it goes.
The more advancements there are, the more difficult it is to maintain legacy software and systems.
You can't put a band-aid on something to make it work just like the new stuff all the time.
You can't continue to fully back an OS that has reached its peak and has already had two successors.
Eventually, legacy support must be dropped.

Most operating systems were good for about 4-5 years maximum.
OS X 10.4 was released on April 29, 2005... over 4.5 years ago.
Its time has come to an end.

The faster technology advances, the shorter that time frame becomes.

If one day technological advancement suddenly screeched to a halt... would consumers be happy?
No, of course not.
They would demand more and more.
Would it help if technology simply "slowed down" a bit?
No, of course not.
The consumer is an insatiable beast and would demand faster updates.

However, so long as the older systems still provide their users with the same reliability and functionality they did on day one, they are not obsolete.
I still have a single-processor 1.6 Ghz Power Mac G5 running 10.4.11 Tiger.
It still does exactly what I need it to.
Yes, it's older... but it is far from being obsolete.

If the day ever came that my current setup couldn't successfully perform for me... I would get a newer computer.
Until that day, my system and OS are not obsolete.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Tech, you say When and If on 10.7 and above. You know something you are not saying? Like Google Chrome OS except OSX all on the net?

Not to get off-topic, but I think Chromium OS is exactly the kind of OS an always-on, always connected netbook platform needs. Think of it like a bridge between a smartphone and a standard notebook. I don't see Apple going down that path, as they have always catered to the high-end of the market - at least not with the Mac line. If anything, the rumored tablet would function more in that niche. And again, Chromium OS is a niche product. It's not looking to replace full on PCs (and I use the PC in the general sense, not the mainstream sense), nor will it ever.

But for the on-the-go, always connected business traveler, for whom a Smartphone isn't enough for crunching spreadsheets or working on large documents, this style of OS may be a good fit.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

On the Apple going NET PC I did say HOPE they don't.

From all the info I have read Google is not going to stop with netbooks. That is the first step of their plan.

I can see your point on a device for some users and uses.

As far as Tiger support, Apple is doing nothing different. They support the current and the version before. You can't expect them to support Tiger forever. Same was done with Panther, Jaguar, Puma before. Microsoft pulls support after a time on their older OS's also. Apple is doing nothing different with this. I just wish it was easier to get 10.5 Leopard for the older Macs that are running tiger still.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS ver# | installing osx with wrong install disks »