New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Self Starting Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PGB1

PGB1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 2 GB RAM Running OSX 10.6.8

Hi All
I hope I am in the correct portion of the forum for this question. I'm guessing it is an Operating System issue. (Caution! I usually guess wrong- just ask the lottery ticket seller.)

My 15" Macbook Pro (Vintage 2007) turns itself on at will. I use OSX10.4.11 I made sure to look at every possible post in many forums and followed the suggestions. (Except the one telling someone to put it in the freezer overnight to solve the problem. Thought that one was a little too wacky.)

I have Bluetooth as Non-Discoverable. Scheduler is off. None of my programs that can schedule things (such as Prosoft's Databackup or iCal alarms) have scheduled events. There's no ethernet cable attached. I even have my wireless modem (router?) in "Stealth" mode. All firewalls are on. (There are many other people with wireless networks close enough to my house that my computer sees them.) I reset the SMC controller at the suggestion of the Genius Bar guy who was working on my wife's Macbook warranty repair.

I leave it off (not sleep) with the lid closed and no power cord attached. Before I close the lid, I make sure it is 100% off. Yet, it will still turn itself on at random (Not every day, and sometimes multiple times a day. Various times of day.) The unit is super hot when I discover it on. (Thankfully, it is mostly on a table and not in a suffocating soft case.) For now, I take the battery out when it is unattended. Since I have a Speck hard shell, this isn't the quickest task.

It's never been spilled on nor smoked around. The battery is a replacement for the non-warrantied defective Apple batteries. Other than that, it is all original equipment.

I can't think of, or find, anything else to try to keep it from getting turned on on- other than showing it a naked picture of Ernest Borgnine skydiving or calling a priest for an exorcism.

Do any of you folks have any ideas for something I missed?
Thanks Very Much,
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Have a look in Sys Profiler - Option/Apple Menu and have a look in Software/Logs/Kernal.log and that may give you the code connected to random wakeup then all you have to do is find what the code means :-)

Click for full size

Then there is Applications/Utilities/Console with heaps of choices.
QUOTE Thanks
PGB1

PGB1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 2 GB RAM Running OSX 10.6.8

I looked in System Profiler. I don't have (or can't find) a Kernal Log. I can't find an "Option" or "Apple Menu" to choose. I do have a System Log under Software. Sadly, it only has this date's information about the two programs that crashed today. (Disk Inventory X & Turbo CAD)

Next time it turns itself on, should I dive into this System Log to look for the cause?

Thanks,
Paul
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bluetooth mouse wont auto-connect after update 10.6.2 | OS ver# »