New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

My MacBook Pro was stolen, now it's back but...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ChrisB

ChrisB is on a distinguished road

My MacBook Pro was stolen about 10 days ago from a restaurant close to where I live. I got a call today to say that it was returned (not sure to be honest, the way it happened it seems to be an inside job) and now I have it back.

Anyway, There is 'some' browsing history in Firefox and they have moved some files around, but nothing that gives away who it was. The guy in the restaurant assured me that it was returned today, but not used at all by him.

Is there any way that I can check what IP address was used to connect to the internet, or anything else I could do to maybe work out who stole my computer?

Any advice would be great thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Is there any way that I can check what IP address was used to connect to the internet, or anything else I could do to maybe work out who stole my computer?

Any advice would be great thanks.
Does it really matter! You should be darn glad that you got it back!

You're one of the VERY few people to get their stolen laptop returned...consider yourself way ahead & call it a day.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I agree with Nick! If you're worried about who used your machine or what they did with it, wipe it clean and start over. I know you would like to catch the thief but that's probably not going to happen. Just chalk it up to a bad experience that turned out good.

Anyway, congratulations on getting your machine back. I guess from now on you're going to keep a better eye on it... ???

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Does it really matter! You should be darn glad that you got it back!

You're one of the VERY few people to get their stolen laptop returned...consider yourself way ahead & call it a day.

- Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I agree with Nick! If you're worried about who used your machine or what they did with it, wipe it clean and start over. I know you would like to catch the thief but that's probably not going to happen. Just chalk it up to a bad experience that turned out good.

Anyway, congratulations on getting your machine back. I guess from now on you're going to keep a better eye on it... ???

Regards.
Agreed.

It's a time to count blessings rather than seek retribution.

Amazing enough to consider that someone's conscience out there actually still functions.
QUOTE Thanks
LelandJLK

LelandJLK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram

Unless there are legal documents that have been tampered with I would try and take actions, but if not, call it a day and enjoy not having to buy a new computer!
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

IP addresses will help you narrow down where they were used but most of the time the pertinent information is stored at the ISP, which you need to get litigious to get access to, like a police report.

Like they said, let this sleeping dog lie. +1 for guilty conscience!
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Even if you got the IP address what are you going to do with it after?

You got the computer back which is a good thing. I would leave it as that and not play detective.

Be more careful with your computer next time too!

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Agreed with all of the above responses.... Don't turn the good Karma that brought you your Mac back into bad karma! I am amazed at the return of your Mac, and if anything, regardless of your suspicions, you should call up the owner/manager of the restaurant, and thank them again for the return of your laptop, and let them know how greatful you are, and make sure that the staff member who returned it to you be thanked as well.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I can relate.

Thieves suck.
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

Don't.

QUOTE Thanks
miscend

miscend is on a distinguished road

Did you remember to thank the manager of the store?

You are very lucky indeed.
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisB

ChrisB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Did you remember to thank the manager of the store?

You are very lucky indeed.
Ok, of course I am happy that I got it back, but under the circumstances I will not be thanking the restaurant manager.

Let me tell you what happened:

I walked into a restaurant Friday before last and was greeted by a very large doorman who demanded that laptops were not allowed in his restaurant (very odd). He then demanded to keep hold of it for me, saying he would bring me a cloakroom ticket. 10 minutes later (when no ticket arrived) I went looking for him. I found him and he denied me ever giving him a laptop, calling myself and three colleagues liars.

I have spent most of the last week talking to the police (who seized their cctv tapes) and kicking up a fuss in this restaurant. I believe it was my hard work that got the machine back. When the manager called me he said that some guy has 'accidentally' picked it up 10 days ago and returned it today (he was apparently away on business for a week so was unable to return it sooner). When I asked to see the tapes to see who had returned it, they had apparently forgotten to turn on the cctv that morning. It's all bull.

Of course, I'm happy that I got it back, but I'm still a little peeved as someone has spent a week looking through my work.

Thanks for all your replies anyway. I hope we can all learn a lesson from this. Don't give your laptop to big fat balding men
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'd be mad as all get out also. But it is in the hands of the police. You have called them to tell them it's been returned correct? Surely you have identified the person you handed the notebook to. Ask them, what is the next step, can they get an IP of where it's been used to help identify the person and tell them that you want to press charges if that is the case.

Even if you discover the identity of the person that took it, there really is no retribution you could do without getting into trouble yourself. Leave it in their hands and continue pressing until you have satisfaction or get tired of pressing if/when you discover there is not a lot they can do about it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Ok, of course I am happy that I got it back, but under the circumstances I will not be thanking the restaurant manager.
Definitely a very very unusual set of circumstances...much different than the "average" I just got my MacBook stolen situation.

But it's still a occasion to celebrate the fact that you got your stolen laptop back...and that's a very rare thing!

Congrats again on getting it back,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

It's stories like this that make me set a login password on every computer I own. I even make it ask me for password after the screensaver kicks on, or if the display goes to sleep (which takes around 3 minutes).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac after System reinstall | Help! External HD Stopped showing up! »