New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Snow Leopard question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PatMc

PatMc is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I am new to administering Mac's so please excuse this question if if it really basic.

I have a user who needs her machine to close and reopen her email app which is Eudora if that is need every 2 hour over the weekends.

So my question is does SL have a task mgr app that can do this.

I have been looking for this info and have had no luck in finding it.

Thank you

Pat
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

You could probably create a task using Automator. It is in the applications folder.
QUOTE Thanks
PatMc

Thanks I looked at automator and on the list of app's it seemed only to show native Mac app's. Not app's I have installed like Eudora and MS word. Is this normally?

Thanks
Pat
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMc View Post
I have a user who needs her machine to close and reopen her email app which is Eudora if that is need every 2 hour over the weekends.
No, you don't.

You have a user that needs something, obviously, but that is not what she needs.

Why don't you find out what her actual problem is, and then post that here?
QUOTE Thanks
PatMc

Sorry I missed typed

I need to close down Eudora and reopen it every 2 hours from 7 P.M. on Friday till 6 A.M. on Monday morning. The issue is there is a memory leak in Eudora that cause's it to crash if it is not closed and reopened.

I am thinking that using CRONTAB is the way to go. i am just having a little trouble getting it to work as I would expect it to. If any one could help with this it would be great.

thanks
Pat
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

you can write an AppleScript to run that will open and close. There are many resources online. I'd start here to get a feel for it and have fun!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMc View Post
The issue is there is a memory leak in Eudora that cause's it to crash if it is not closed and reopened.
Not likely. If there were a memory leak, it would have been obvious years ago.

There are lots of problems with certain Eudora settings and features in Leopard and Snow Leopard. (For example, the default sounds. See the note at the bottom of the download page) Whatever the issue, you would be better off investigating it and trying to see if there is a feature or function you can disable to actually solve the problem.

If you can't figure it out, migrate the user to a supported email client. Quitting and re-launching the program is a bad solution and may cause even more problems if the program is already unreliable.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Copying A .cdr File | ARDAgent + AppleVNCServer + General OS X Services question. »