New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Problems with Snow Leopard upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

finsen29

finsen29 is on a distinguished road

I've just bought Snow Leopard and when I try to install the disc a message pops up saying this disc needs 10.5. or later installing first.

I'm currently running OS X 10.4.11.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or what I need to do?

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Unless I'm mistaken, the error is very clear..you are trying to upgrade tom 10.4.11 to 10.6 while only 10.5 to 10.6 is the upgrade path. The Snow Leopard CD, however, is capable of doing a full installation of SL from scratch..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
finsen29

I was guessing that I needed to upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5 first but wanted to check on here.

So are you saying it is possible to install SL without upgrading to 10.5 first? If so, can you point me in the direction of how?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
MadGamer

MadGamer is on a distinguished road

Restart your machine with the DVD in the drive and hold down the C key, while its booting.
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Strange. I managed to install Snow Leopard on my friend's Mac running Tiger. I wonder how that worked out.
QUOTE Thanks
finsen29

Thanks for your help Madgamer. I've tried this several times and I still get the same problem.

Sadly I never have time to call Applecare in the day and get home around this time at night when the offices have closed.

Any other ideas how I can upgrade to SL?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

You can wipe your HD and install SL fresh and new.

Just follow this video tutorial on Youtube.
QUOTE Thanks
finsen29

Aaaaaarrrgghh.

Thanks for all your help so far. I checked out the Youtube clips and tried to follow it step by step but everytime it got to the Mac OS X Installer page it came up with this message,

"This disc requires that Mac OS X 10.5 or later already be installed on your computer."

I managed to by pass this message and go into Disk Utility to wipe my HD but still when I re-boot with the SL disc in the drive it brings up the above message.

Just to clarify, my machine is a MacBook with an Intel processor.

Could it be the disc? Are there different types of SL upgrade discs?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Is it the machine specific snow leopard, or the retail version?
The OS discs shipped with macs are machine specific!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

I had similar issue when putting Tiger back on MBP then later doing a Leopard re install. As i recall ended up resetting the SMC then got it to boot off Leopard DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
finsen29

I'm guessing it may be the latter? I got it off Ebay.

The disc says "CPU Drop-in DVD" on the left and "This software is part of a hardware bundle" on the right.

Does that mean it's machine specific? Any other way to tell?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
finsen29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
I had similar issue when putting Tiger back on MBP then later doing a Leopard re install. Ended up resetting the SMC then doing PRAM reset then got it to boot off Leopard DVD.

Sorry to sound like a complete newbie but what does SMC and PRAM stand for?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

here i removed PRAM ref as initially i could not do that
and you want one of these;

Click for full size
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

And this is the Retail Install Snow leopard DVD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3868585913_6ac2bdc0c7.jpg (99.4 KB, 5 views)
QUOTE Thanks
6string

SMC System Management Controller
PRAM Parameter Random Access Memory
The gist is though that you have the wrong disc
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ooops....One-Window-@-A-Time-It is | problems installing Cinema 4D »