New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Weird file showed up after installing SL

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

I upgraded again to snow leopard today. It went smoothly. BUT, there is this file on my desktop called ".ds_store," Screen shot 2009-11-15 at 7.57.09 PM.pngI try to delete it, but it comes back! Can someone please help me! If this was on a windows computer, I would have called it a virus because this is all it says,

Edit, it won't let me copy that info for some reason
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Somehow hidden files are being shown on the desktop as every folder in OSX has that file but it's hidden. Do you see any other files like it in other folders?
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

No. So this is a hidden file you say...time to do some research...thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

When I plug say a flash drive into a Windows machine I see all kinds of .DS_Store files that you don't see by default in OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

there is an app called mainmenu.
The version you need to find if you want a free one is 1.7.4
It may take a few attempts to get it, as often when downloading, even though it says that you are getting 1.7.4, it will give you the later version which you have to pay for.
In the app, you can scroll down from the icon in the menu bar to finder/hide hidden files.
I'm not big on using terminal, so I am not sure, but I think either of these should work, but DON'T try it until someone with a better knowledge of using terminal comments on this post.

com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles OFF
killall Finder
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

I figured it out. Super dock got reset or something after the upgrade and had the, "show hidden files," was selected. All is good now. Thanks for the lead!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
there is an app called mainmenu.
The version you need to find if you want a free one is 1.7.4
It may take a few attempts to get it, as often when downloading, even though it says that you are getting 1.7.4, it will give you the later version which you have to pay for.
In the app, you can scroll down from the icon in the menu bar to finder/hide hidden files.
I'm not big on using terminal, so I am not sure, but I think either of these should work, but DON'T try it until someone with a better knowledge of using terminal comments on this post.

com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles OFF
killall Finder
You need to use the bottom command, the top set will error out as com.apple.finder isn't a command, but defaults is.. very close though

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

I have my hidden files shown.
Also, does anyone know how to make a file "hidden" on a Windows machine? Because I have a file in a hidden folder (with a "." at the beginning of the folder name) and the file is hidden the same way, and it is basically all of my passwords. The file is password-protected, so it's not too urgent. Send me a PM if you know please. Thanks.

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

that's a function of the OS... You'd have to change it's permissions/properties on a windows box. No unix perms would ever apply.. and likewise no windows perms will ever apply on anther OS.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« restoreing time machine | Can I change the account administrator name? »