New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to back-up and restore my Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eon.

eon. is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking about re-partitioning my hard drive (getting rid of the Windows partition for good) and I want to back up everything on my Mac (applications, preferences, settings etc.).

Could I just copy my entire home folder to an external hard drive then copy it back over once I finish the partition and reinstall of OSX (10.4)? And if so, how? Would I need to log in with a different user account with admin rights then copy it over?
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Since you are running Tiger and not Leopard, Time Machine won't be available for you. I recommend the application called SuperDuper! to deal with your backing up needs. The site should give you enough information on what to do when you want to backup and restore everything on your Mac.

SuperDuper!
QUOTE Thanks
eon.

SuperDuper looks like a great piece of software but for right now I'd prefer a free option. Is it not possible to just copy my entire home folder like I wanted to do?
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 Mac mini - 10.10.1

SuperDuper! works for Mac OS X Tiger, considering that it doesn't have Leopard and Snow Leopard's Time Machine.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.1
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10.1
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 Mac mini - 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon. View Post
SuperDuper looks like a great piece of software but for right now I'd prefer a free option. Is it not possible to just copy my entire home folder like I wanted to do?
This will screw up everything.

If you end up moving the Home folder, Mac OS X will give you an error upon boot up, requiring that the whole OS be reinstalled. Trust me, you don't want to go there.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.1
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10.1
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon. View Post
Try Carbon Copy Cloner. It's donation ware but it is fully functional. (SuperDuper is partially crippled until you register it.)

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
eon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Try Carbon Copy Cloner. It's donation ware but it is fully functional. (SuperDuper is partially crippled until you register it.)

Regards.
That looks more like what I'm going for, thanks for the link!

Have you done a restore from a cloned, bootable volume using carbon copy? The backup seems easy enough, I just hope the restore is just as smooth.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I use CCC as my regular backup strategy in addition to Time Machine. And yes, I've used it numerous times to restore. Works great. Kind of reminds me of the old Windows Drive Image software.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow Leopard 10.6.2 update woes! | Finder freezes at desktop loops to login »