New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Removing fonts recently added - How?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Liam

Liam has a spectacular aura about

I recently added hundreds and hundreds of fonts given to me from a friend, and it has slowed down my machine dramatically, from loading the operating system up once putting in my password, to opening the likes of Word, PowerPoint etc.

Fontbook also crashes upon trying to look at the fonts, I think, because some of them are Arabic, etc, and maybe it is causing issues

What I want to do is remove every font I added and go back to the ones I had initially. Unfortunately I copied and pasted them all into the "Fonts" folder so I don't know which fonts were there before and which ones weren't.

What would be the best way to identity, and get rid of the ones I have put into the Fonts folder? I have tried to arrange by "Date Modified" etc, but the dates don't match.

Also, if I remove the font from the "Fonts" folder, will that mean that they are gone completely, or are they then implemented into the system elsewhere also? I deleted a fair amount of them simply by comparing the CD to what was in the Fonts folder and it still seems to be very slow.

I've also tried reinstalling Office, but to no use.

I am using Mac OSX10.4 if it makes any difference.

Many thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Best way would have been is restoring from time machine before you went and did that. Next time use a font manager not named font book to manage your fonts. IE. SuitCase Fusion 2, Linotype FontExplorer X, FontCase, etc.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
I recently added hundreds and hundreds of fonts ... What I want to do is remove every font I added
You can remove fonts only after logging in as administrator, you probably know that, but .....

Quote:
Unfortunately I copied and pasted them all into the "Fonts" folder so I don't know which fonts were there before and which ones weren't.
This is going to be awkward. Firstly, check this link: Mac OS X 10.4: Fonts list. Print it, I suggest.
And this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._with_Mac_OS_X

In your situation I would remove any fonts you can readily identify as being 'undesirable' after having read the list in the links.

Quote:
Also, if I remove the font from the "Fonts" folder, will that mean that they are gone completely
Short answer, yes, but you must move them to Trash, where they become inaccessible to the OS.

Lastly, but very importantly, after doing the font maintenance, you should run Onyx Titanium Software to repair permissions and to optimise the system (Update only).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dictionary in Dashboard has a mind of it's own!! | Dashboard widgets don’t connect to the internet »