Dashboard widgets donít connect to the internet

Iím not able to use widgets that connect to the internet to get their information (like Weather, Stocks or Currency converter) for a few weeks now.

In currency converter, I just get the error message ďData unavailableĒ, Stocksí error message is ďError retrieving chartĒ, though itís trying to ďretrieve dataĒ all the time. The weather widget even doesnít find any towns while already added weather widgets only have a pulsing ďįĒ-sign in the upper right corner instead of showing the townís weather.

The problem existed in 10.5 as well as in 10.6, but I canít remember the last operating systemís number without this problem. My system is an iMac7,1 with Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2. Everything else needing a connection to the internet works fine.

I hope that I described my problem in a comprehensible English and that anyone can help me.

Best wishes!

Texas, where else?
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Give this a shot - move your dashboard preference files to the desktop, log out and back in

It's located at your Users / your user / Library / Preferences / and the dashboard.client.plist
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Hello bobtomay, this perfectly worked for me. I already deleted those two files, but I only restarted the Dock (killall Dock) afterwards instead of logging out and back in.
    Thank you so much! :-)

Hi, I'm having the same problem but when I moved those files to the desktop and logged out then back in (and then even restarted) it didn't solve the problem -- only removed everything from my dashboard and reverted back to the default of just one weather, the clock, the calendar, and the calculator. My weather widget has my city but just the pulsing circle in the corner and no data. When I try to change the city to something else, it just says "Validating..." forever. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Thread Information