New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrading G5 10.3.9 to 10.5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

daveed

daveed is on a distinguished road

I will be installing Adobe CS4 (Pshop, Illustrator, etc.) in my PowerPC G5 but the CS4 requirement means I have to upgrade the OS, which is still at 10.3.9. CS4 requires Mac OS X v10.4.1110.5.4. But I'm confused about which version to get. I know I cannot put in Snow Leopard so I asked my reseller who said they don't sell old Leopard- I have to buy it on Ebay or Amazon. OSX 10.5 is trading for about $150 on Ebay, but there are "upgrade" versions and "full retail" versions, some say they are only for intel processors- which one do I get? Maybe I should just get Tiger? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveed View Post
I will be installing Adobe CS4 (Pshop, Illustrator, etc.) in my PowerPC G5 but the CS4 requirement means I have to upgrade the OS, which is still at 10.3.9. CS4 requires Mac OS X v10.4.1110.5.4. But I'm confused about which version to get. I know I cannot put in Snow Leopard so I asked my reseller who said they don't sell old Leopard- I have to buy it on Ebay or Amazon. OSX 10.5 is trading for about $150 on Ebay, but there are "upgrade" versions and "full retail" versions, some say they are only for intel processors- which one do I get? Maybe I should just get Tiger? Thanks!
As long as CS4 can use 10.4 (Tiger)...then you can get either 10.4 or 10.5.

As far as the disks...as far as I know you need the full retail version of either 10.4 or 10.5...either of these OS versions are selling for $100+ on eBay...and like you said even as high as $150.

I'm not really aware of any upgrade versions for 10.4 or 10.5.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Apple do not sell Leopard nor Tiger any longer, so sites such as Amazon and eBay and many others are the go and as Nick suggests they are not cheap mate. Get full retail install version of Leopard OS X.5 and update to X.5.8.

Tiger will have a much shorter life than Leopard which will be continued for we PPC users.
QUOTE Thanks
daveed

daveed is on a distinguished road

thank you for your helpful responses- you even answered my next question. If I buy 10.5.1 or 10.5.4 will I be able to upgrade to the highest version supported by the PowerPC. I guess the answer is "Yes" and the version I want to go up to is 10.5.8. I assume this will be an available download or something over the internet? I am also nervous about anything that does not say "full retail version". Here is an offer that is tempting but not sure if is going to work- what do you think?

<<Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard New Install Restore DiscsMac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard Mac Pro early 2008
These disk are reinstall disk and will not work on just any mac
So please do your home work before buying these and make sure that this is what you need.
Mac OS X Install Disk 1
Mac OS version 10.5.2
AHT version 3A146
Disk version 1.2
2Z691-6202-A
Mac OS X Install Disk 2
Disk version 1.0
2Z691-6195-A>>
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

As state, it is a reinstall disk, and it will not work on just any Mac. So, be careful.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveed View Post
If I buy 10.5.1 or 10.5.4 will I be able to upgrade to the highest version supported by the PowerPC. I guess the answer is "Yes" and the version I want to go up to is 10.5.8. I assume this will be an available download or something over the internet? I am also nervous about anything that does not say "full retail version". Here is an offer that is tempting but not sure if is going to work- what do you think?

<<Mac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard New Install Restore DiscsMac OS X 10.5.2 Leopard Mac Pro early 2008
If you purchase 10.5.1 or 10.5.4...YES you will be able to update for free to 10.5.8 via Software Update.

NO...you do not want that "Restore Disk" you mentioned. You want a full install Retail version of 10.5...and like already mentioned...that's going to cost you at least $100 bucks (probably more) on eBay.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

As stated and repeated and repeated - do NOT buy restore or upgrade discs. They are extremely model specific. You need to look for the full retail version of Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do i format my hard drive? | Mobile Me Sync asking for Member Name & Password »