New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mail Attachment File Size Changes When Sent to Outlook Account

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hualone

hualone is on a distinguished road

I recently upgraded to a Macbook Pro and since then it seems that I cannot send any picture attachments to an Outlook user without having them arrive as much smaller files than originally sent. For example, I just sent a 2MB JPEG file and it arrived as a 5KB file. I have this problem whether I send pictures directly from iPhoto or if I export them first and then attach them.

I also just upgraded to Snow Leopard and the problem persists. Anyone seen this problem? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
metalfury

metalfury is on a distinguished road

Have you tried sending the email to yourself as well as an outlook user - this would confirm if the file is being downsampled your end, or by the outlook machine?

What software are you using to send the email?

Have you just tried dragging the 2MB image from a finder window to your email before sending it - bypassing iphoto alltogether.
QUOTE Thanks
hualone

Thanks metalfury for your response.

Yes, I sent the message to myself and there is no problem with the attachments

I am using Mail 4.1

Yes, I attached the file directly to the email without going through iphoto and the problem is the same.

The thing is I didn't have this problem with my older Macbook (white one with Leopard OS). This only started when I got the Macbook Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I would venture to say, that if you send a pic to your friend and CC it to yourself, it leaves your computer and is sent back to your computer in the proper size and the size has changed on theirs, the issue does not lie with your machine or your ISP. The problem is on the other end somewhere.

The next thing to try would be to send the email from the web version of your email rather than from the Mail app.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
hualone

Thanks bobtomay. I tried sending the attachment directly through webmail and it works fine, not problems getting the original attachment to Outlook email. So, it seems that the problem is in the Mail app, doesn't it?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What is the size and file type you are sending and I'll do some testing.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget (Ethernet over USB) | Problem with preview »