Turned off Mac in the middle of "writing files"
    First off, I know that what I did was incredibly stupid. Any of you can go ahead and call me names. I would prefer you wouldn't but I have no basis to stand on. However, if you aren't willing to help, please don't just be deprecatory for the sake of it.
    I don't know what I've done. When my Macbook (normal, not pro, uses intel core 2 duo. operates on OSx 10.5.8 currently) was "writing files" after a restart for a software update (for safari and for security), it had seemed to have frozen. So, I fiddled with the trackpad, and when that didn't do anything, I pressed the power switch. Well, at that point, the screen turned back on, and there was a little "writing files" bar in the middle of the screen, with the progress at about 32%. Then the mac switched off and rebooted. So far I haven't had any problems, but will I start to have them? And if I do, can I use my Time machine to try and fix it? Please help...

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    It's probably not a bad idea at this stage before anything pops up, just to run disk utility, and repair disk permissions....
    You will probably see a major list of of permission repairs for safari, but this is normal, and then I'd probably go to apple.com using firefox browser, and re-download safari and the security update that you were downloading again, just as a safeguard.
    And no, I won't being calling you names

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Oh... and welcome to mac forums .....

Thank you so much.

Errrr, I don't know what this means, but I'm guessing that this isn't good...
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "bin/rcp" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template".
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
    Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rlogin" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rsh" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/nl.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/pl.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/pt.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/pt.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/ru.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/ru.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/sv.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/sv.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/tr.lproj/Localized.rsrc", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r-- .
    Permissions differ on "Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/tr.lproj", should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .

Permissions repair complete

I left out a lot, and most of it looks fine, but I'm a bit concerned about why it's saying there's been a modification to the user login. Or is that normal?

Specs:
    This is common with 10.5.... and to be honest, used to drive me nuts, however, when I updated to Snow leopard 10.6, 10.6.1, 10.6.2.... I have been left with just the one:
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    However, here is a link to all that can be safely ignored:
    Mac OS X 10.5: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore
    The main thing is to run disk utility and repair permission on a regular basis, and you should be fine.
    No need to concern yourself about the error messages unless something goes wrong, and then you will probably find a solution even without trying to decipher what all this jargon is in that list!

So, getting back to it, is your safari working as it should?

Specs:
    Also, adding to that, no guarantees that this will fix the problem, but it has worked for some!
    Downloading and installing the 10.5.8 combo update back to back.
    Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update
    So, download it, install it, and then install it again.
    Once done, repair permissions twice in a row to see if there's a change in the report.

Thanks a bunch. Safari's working fine. There seem to be no problems. I'll try the combo update when I can.

Thread Information