New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to set up a VPN to my home?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zschwarzmiller

zschwarzmiller is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Maybe I do not necessarily need a VPN, maybe I can tell you my problem and someone has experienced this.

I moved to Thailand, and used to download things with a bit-torrent downloader called "transmission" and now that I am in Thailand, I think my internet is not letting me download it. I cannot open the webpages that have the torrents on them, nor can I use my Netflix, Pandora, or any of that stuff anymore... I did download a thing called "Tor" which changes my IP but it normally makes me appear in Europe and still will not download, nor register I am on a mac. It fails to load shows on NBC, Netflix...

I was thinking if I set up a VPN with my network back home in Seattle, Washington I could use that IP to access all this stuff?

Does anyone know any websites that are good for explaining this, or know how to fix my problem? I am missing watching The Office!!

Thanks!

Zach
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

You would want to setup SSH tunneling.

Enable SSH on the Seattle Mac. Install SHH Tunnel Manager on the Thailand Mac.

Create tunnels for the traffic you want to originate from WA.

Setting up SSH on a non standard port also may benefit you since your ISP may also block port 22 (which is SSH). I use 443 to tunnel SSH over since 443 is usually open for everything.

Google it!
QUOTE Thanks
zschwarzmiller

I guess that was another problem of mine, I do not have a MAC back in Seattle just the Verizon Fios (router + modem). Will i need a computer to be on full time to run SSH?

I don't have a computer at home I can leave on, but I could get someone to set it up for me who is there, but they would be using Windows 7 on a PC

Thanks for the reply!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Yes, you will need a PC in Seattle up and running to be able to connect to and then head out from there..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
zschwarzmiller

Sorry, there is some confusion on my end... Do I need a PC that is on, and connected 24/7 in Seattle to use this, or do I just need to connect the PC and set it up, then the network will be set up if I turn off the PC.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If you don't want to leave the PC on all the time ( and you'll have to to make this work without any other changes) you can use a router that is running DD-WRT/OpenWRT/Tomato or other custom firmware and run OpenVPN on there so that you can access it from Thailand and then once you're on the router's VPN, you can possibly access the Internet that way..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Issues with Deleting Files | stored password locations »