New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How do you make a desktop shortcut for a file or folder?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vpsean

vpsean is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

Just need to take a file from a folder and have a shortcut to it on the desktop. I tried to move it to the desktop, but it moves the entire thing. I just need a shortcut. Any ideas?

Also, is there a keyboard shortcut to opening up the finder? I recall there was some way to set a default key command for certain programs to open. In fact, I think they're still at default, but it was a combinatino key so I'm not usre what they are.

Thanks!

--Sean
QUOTE Thanks
lp81

lp81 is on a distinguished road

Personally I haven't figured this out either, my solution was to drag the item to the left nav bar under "places" and it makes a shortcut there... just a temporary suggestion
QUOTE Thanks
remltr

remltr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini 512 1.2 20" cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsean View Post
Hey guys,

Just need to take a file from a folder and have a shortcut to it on the desktop. I tried to move it to the desktop, but it moves the entire thing. I just need a shortcut. Any ideas?
Right click on item. Select "Make Alias". Drag alias to desktop.

Can't help you with the second part of your question.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Hold option key while dragging to copy to desktop, or create alias by right clicking.
Command N to open finder window, but you have to be in finder menu, as if you're in browser menu, it will open a new browser window.
Command O will give you a full screen finder window.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

You can click Alt Tab to go to finder menu and then Command N which will open the window.
I find it easier just to go to finder in dock though
QUOTE Thanks
nabl

nabl has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork 09

You can also hold the Option and Command keys while dragging a file to the desktop to create an alias.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Good advice remltr and nabl.
QUOTE Thanks
vpsean

vpsean is on a distinguished road

Darkestritual, nabl, 6string, remltr, lp81: All of you thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate.

--Sean
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question regarding Loading Disc Media | Leopard - Keyboard freeze? »