New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OpenDirectory Passwords

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

loadnabox

loadnabox is on a distinguished road

I'd like to preface by saying I'm a Unix Administrator but have had almost zero experience with Macs in the past 10 years. Sooo, if you put it in Unix Terms I'll understand, the Mac Jargon I won't get.

Trying to help some family members that recently picked up an iMac from the local School District that was upgrading it's computers. It's running OS 10.5 (Leopard?)

There's three logins when allowing a regular boot, Admin, Teacher, & Student.

We don't have the OS install disc or the Admin passwords.

Booting to single user mode, the /etc/passwd file didn't have any of those three accounts and a passwd command was unable to change them. It appears the school had been using OpenDirectory (Mac LDAP implementation if I'm understanding this properly). Since we're not on the school network anymore, can't change the password or talk with the LDAP server.

My questions would be:

How can I get the machine to quit trying to use LDAP and only look to local accounts?

Is this thinking wrong? Perhaps Macs have a second place that stores local login info?

The machine was legally purchased without discs or documentation, is there a way to get a copy of the OS X disc?
QUOTE Thanks
loadnabox

loadnabox is on a distinguished road

suggestions? *polite bump*
QUOTE Thanks
recon731

recon731 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB

You could try going into an Apple store and ask them to put the original operating system back on. If they do, you would get the iMac as though it was fresh from the box, creating your own original Admin user at first boot.

The other option would be to find out which model iMac you have and match it to disks people are selling on ebay.

Mac4Life (with a PC gaming rig as well)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« password help | Recovering a G5 disk, still possible after what I did? »