New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Boot Camp and Partitioning problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sasha Fierce

Sasha Fierce is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"

Hey all, i use Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and i had to install Windows, i installed and removed VMFusion or whatever the name was, but the icon on the try is still there and when i tried Boot Camp to make a Window partition, whenever it reaches the half it gives me the same exact msg (following screenshot).
I tried the Disk Utility more than once, verified and repaired, it says "you're disk appears to be working properly".

Can anybody PLEASE help me? do i have to back everything up and format? it's a very new MacBook, still so early for a format

QUOTE Thanks
ukchucktown

ukchucktown has a spectacular aura about

How comfortable are you opening a terminal window and using the command line? Anytime you are messing with partitions it's a good idea to backup.

I would start by opening a terminal and running "diskutil list" to get the partition order and types on your problem disk. Paste the output from "diskutil list" then if all looks okay you can try and merge the partitions using diskutil from the command-line. Don't try it with the command I demonstrated, if your partition order is different, you will lose your data.

List partitions:
Code:
diskutil list
Merge partitions 2 and 3 keeping partition 2 intact if file system is HPS+
Code:
sudo diskutil mergePartitions disk0s2 disk0s3
The other option is use something like a gparted CD to boot your system but that's pretty advanced and could mess up your system if you don't know your way around disk partiioning, MBR and EFI.
QUOTE Thanks
Sasha Fierce

Sasha Fierce is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"

Ok, i maybe didn't mention that i'm a new mac user here's the Terminal's output for my disk listing:
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *160.0 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Sasha Fierce HD 159.7 GB disk0s2

Now i don't understand what does all of this mean, or what should i do next quite embarrassing, i know!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I transfer files between computers? | Question about highlighting »