New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

file sharing from mac to XP - but IP keeps changing!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

magilla gorilla

magilla gorilla is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm file sharing from my Macbook to my PC, using a FTP program installed on my PC, using my wireless home network (Netgear router).

Everything is fine, and I can transfer files, and access all the folders etc.. But everyday the IP address of my macbook changes, and I have to constantly change that in my FTP program..

Not a huge problem, but certainly a pain in the butt to be constantly having to look up the new IP etc..

So is there a way to give the macbook a permanant IP address?

thanks in advance

MG
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

sure, give it a static dhcp address on your dhcp server...

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Go into the Ethernet properties under System Preferences > Network. Choose "Manually" from the drop down box and give yourself a manual IP address. Make sure the IP you enter is in the same subnet the router hands out, but not in the same range the router uses for DHCP. Now it will not change.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post
Go into the Ethernet properties under System Preferences > Network. Choose "Manually" from the drop down box and give yourself a manual IP address. Make sure the IP you enter is in the same subnet the router hands out, but not in the same range the router uses for DHCP. Now it will not change.
on any network he attaches to.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
magilla gorilla

magilla gorilla is on a distinguished road

thanks for the quick replies..

so.. just to get this straight..

looking at the attached devices in my router settings, all my networked computers all have 192.167.1.X as the common numbers in their IP.

So is it just a case of making a number up?
For instance I could give it the number 192.167.1.99

What about the other fields on my Macbook Ethernet setings: Subnet Mask / Router / DNS Server / Search domains - Do I need to find this information as well?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Yes, you do... this becomes more complex. just set an Address Reservation under LAN setup. This will give that MAC address the same IP ALWAYS. Then you don't need to give it any more information, making things much simpler.

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can someone give me some advice for my Macbook? | Snow Leopard failed »