10.7 In "The Cloud"?
    Specs:
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    10.7 In "The Cloud"?
    I have read rumors that 10.7 is going to be "in the cloud" with no actual bootable operating system, but instead one that is stored on-line. Any speculation as to whether this is true? If it is, I will continue using my MacBook until it dies and then I don't know what I will do, but I won't be using an OS that's in the cloud! I don't like the thought of having all my data on someone's web servers and needing an internet connection to use my computer.
    Chris K.

10.7 In "The Cloud"?
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    May I ask where you heard that? Is there a URL?

10.7 In "The Cloud"?

Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    I don't know where you read this..... This link?
    Macworld rumor: Mac OS X 10.7 (Sabertooth) is the cloud OS Sharing the truth one thread at a time
    WHICH STARTS WITH "I HEARD FROM A FRIEND OF A FRIEND" LOL
    I wouldn't believe everything that you read, especially something like that unless it came directly from Apple, which by the way, it

10.7 In "The Cloud"?
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 2.53GHz, 4GB, Snow Leopard + iPhone 3G
    I dont think that would work, surely you would need a decent internet connection everywhere you wanted to use your Mac?! I personally don't like the idea, but am interested to read more about it!

10.7 In "The Cloud"?
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I find it hard to believe that any mainstream desktop OS would be taken into the cloud with broadband access worldwide being what it is today, assuming the OS runs on the native hardware.

Now, if Apple is building a thin client, which would run its OS on a server farm and use a protocol like ICA or RDP, that would be a different story. But I just don't see any market for that outside of an 'always on, always connected' PDA/smartphone/e-reader style device. Even then, it would be a major leap, given the state of affairs with wireless broadband as provided by cell carriers. Although LTE might make it a possibility, I don't see it being possible without cell towers being much more densely distributed worldwide.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

10.7 In "The Cloud"?
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that any mainstream desktop OS would be taken into the cloud with broadband access worldwide being what it is today, assuming the OS runs on the native hardware.
    I could see customized devices...such as something like the iPhone...that would or could be totally reliant on an internet based OS...but for home-based personal computers...that would be a much bigger leap from the current paradigm.

And of course the big question would be for an internet based OS...what would be the BIG advantage or added value compared to the way things are currently.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information