New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Seriously weird problems that I am now totally desperate about...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pleasehelpme

pleasehelpme is on a distinguished road

Hi. I just joined the forums in response to my total desperation about my mac.

It is an OS X 10.4.5 - a mini - and I have had it since 2006. It rarely gave me problems; however, this August everything kind of collapsed at once.

Here's what happened: I was using it in the morning. I left for half the afternoon to go see a movie. There was a thunder/lightning storm going on. When I came back, I tried to open my Sims 2 game, and it quit, giving me an error message about having a graphics card incompatible with Direct X 9.0 or something. It had worked fine that morning. After scouting around about the problem, I realized that the error message was completely irrational - the Direct X thing is only for the Windows version of the game, so a Mac should never even get that error message.

Slowly, other applications began to break down as well. My iMovie HD opened, but my options were severely limited because if I clicked anything in the iMovie window, nothing would happen (I had to use keystrokes to work with it at all). My iPhoto slideshow option wouldn't work, search wouldn't work, and Microsoft Office stopped working. Finally, we got a virus scan - but nothing. Apparently it's clean.

The next problem came. I would turn on the mini and the load bar would fill up ... but then nothing would happen. The computer wouldn't boot. Finally, we just decided to reinstall the whole thing. The entire first disk reinstalled. But then we put in the second disk and encountered the latest problem. It starts installing, but after a few seconds it quits, gives us a message saying that Installer quit unexpectedly, automatically restarts Installer, and redoes the whole cycle again. I honestly now have no idea what to do, nor what the problem is.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Something has become corrupted. Boot from your install disc and run Repair Disc from there. If the drive reports all is well, try erasing formatting Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and another clean install.
QUOTE Thanks
pleasehelpme

Thanks for the quick reply. How do I reboot from the install disk, and which install disc do I reboot from? (1 or 2)
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

#1. With the #1 DVD in the drive, restart and hold down the C key after the startup sound and keep it down till it starts to boot from the DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
pleasehelpme

thank you and i will let you know how that goes!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Shut down during sleep | Burn bootable OS-X Leopard DMG image to USB »