New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Window manager ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mboisso

mboisso is an unknown at this point

Hello,
I am using dual screen, and Mac OS X has proven to be a really painfull experience up to now.

I explain myself. I have two possible setups :
1- I use my laptop only.
2- I use my laptop connected to an external 24in monitor.

Everyday, when I connect the external monitor, I need to dispatch applications that are opened myself : I move Thunderbird and Sunbird to the laptop screen, I move Firefox to the external screen, iTerm to the external screen, maximize the windows, etc... When I disconnect the external monitor, I need to do the opposite... move all the windows one by one to fit the laptop screen.

Moreover, every morning, I need to reconfigure the external screen position because, by default, Snow Leopard puts it in a "side-by-side" configuration, while I want to use it in a "top-bottom" configuration (external monitor on top of the laptop).

I am getting quite annoyed by all of this. Is there any way to have the OS remember the **** configuration ? I would also be satisfied by a third-party program that would do that. This is SO unhelpfull the way it is handled right now...
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Normally, the system will recognize the external display and restore the last configuration.

Things tend to get confused if you use a chain of adaptors. How are you connecting the display?
QUOTE Thanks
mboisso

I am connecting the external monitor through a Mini DisplayPort -> DisplayPort cable. (external monitor has a DisplayPort input).

The OS seems to remember the screen position (one on top of the other) if I don't unplug it for too long. But 24 hour seems to be too long and it resets the configuration.

In anyway, it does not remember the position of the windows on the two monitors.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

S'funny, because when I started doing dual monitors initially it was using Tiger, and I used a vertical arraignment like yours, and every day would disconnect the external to take the Macbook to work. All the windows would jump down to the internal, and with a big of quick Exposé jockeying, they all sized correctly for the smaller monitor. At the end of the day I'd plug in the external, and windows that were on the external would jump back to where they were and life was good. The verticality was preserved as well.

When I moved to Leopard, that remembering bit seemed to be broke. Windows would jump down like before, but when I reconnected the terminal they would stay on the internal and I had to move them back up to the external. Annoying, but oh well.

Now with Snow Leopard, that original remembering has come back, eliminating a step from my home-from-work ritual when transitioning from mobile notebook to plugged-in desktop mode.

I've since moved to a new city and haven't yet plugged in the external since my home office isn't set up yet. It'll be interesting to see if my MBP remembers what monitor setting I had because it's been not connected to any external for more than a month. There's a good reason alone to accelerate the clearing out of boxes and setting up a desk to see what will happen.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Just setup the external to "mirror" (if that will suffice for your work) and then you'll never have to worry about moving apps. That's what I do and never have a problem.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
mboisso

If I wanted a "mirror", I would use a mirror. I don't understand who wants to use "mirror" setting for an external monitor.

Moreover, "mirror" setting display really ugly on the external monitor, because everything is downscaled to the lower resolution of the laptop screen.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« bootcamp partitioning error | Snow Leopard terminal command problem »