New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

.wps files - how to open?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacinYorkshire

MacinYorkshire is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Someone who runs a PC with Windows is trying to send me .wps files as attachments to email. They are coming through but I can't open them with anything on my Mac (OS 10.5.8).
Can anyone help please?
I have asked him to turn them into pdf or rtf but he is not familiar with computers and we are not getting anywhere.
Is there some way I can open his .wps files?
Thanks very much!
MacinYorkshire
QUOTE Thanks
MacinYorkshire

Hi again,
Just to add that I know the file is text and only text, and I know this person well so it isn't junk mail. Also, I don't have any Word programme. I have Pages.
MacinYorkshire
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You mean people are still using MS Works?

Grab OpenOffice. I believe it will open them.

All he needs to do is open the file. Go to the menu, select File, then Save As, then select RTF in the drop down box.

You can also use Zamzar. It is an online file converter. It will convert to .doc or .pdf for you.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MacinYorkshire

Thanks for that. I don't know what he's using, but have compassion... he only began with computers at age 65 and his laptop is somewhat basic! I have had success using Zamar, but I don't want to keep doing that. I have tried to get him to convert the files to RTF but I don't think he's got the hang of it yet...
Ta
QUOTE Thanks
MacinYorkshire

Does this .wps indicate that he is using something that is outdated?

He says that he sent a file .wps to someone else (who is on Windows, unlike me) who also couldn't open it at first, but they found an alternative program in the computer which would open it.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS 10.6: 32-bit vs. 64-bit boot up - what "Legacy" apps NEED 32-bit?? | bootcamp partitioning error »