New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Frozen on desktop, no dock, no access to anything, just spinning wheel

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

seaneen

seaneen is on a distinguished road

Hi, I really need some help!

The other day I went to restart my Macbook. It wouldn't so I had to force it via the off button. Now it boots but is stuck at desktop. I can't do ANYTHING but just look at the desktop background (which loads) and the spinning cursor. I reset PRAM and booted in Safe Mode but the same thing happens, it's just stuck on the desktop with no dock, no nothing but the spinning cursor. My disc drive is broken so can't do a reinstall right now and not sure if I could use an external disc drive.

Can anyone help or give me some suggestions? Thank you in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Try starting it up in verbose mode... that way you'll be able to follow actions step by step

QUOTE Thanks
seaneen

Have done so but I'm not that techy (sorry, I know that's the bane of forums) so I don't really understand what it means.
QUOTE Thanks
seaneen

Started in Single User Mode, am using the fsck command, will this help do you think?
QUOTE Thanks
seaneen

Hmm, says my volume seems to be okay but didn't reboot, I had to hold the button down again.
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

I think a reinstall of your OS might be prudent at this point, unless someone tells you otherwise...

Remember if you do so to back up your important files, just don't back up your entire system, or you'll have the same issues

QUOTE Thanks
RezDuane

RezDuane is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP

Are you using a USB hub? If so, try disconnecting it. I have a similar problem with my Mac Pro. When I disconnect the USB hub--no problem. I can re-connect the hub after it starts.
QUOTE Thanks
808///M3

808///M3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

^^^Yup.

If you have anything plugged into USB, booting can be interrupted. My MBP refuses to boot with a USB wireless headphone receiver plugged in. If your USB or other bus ports are unoccupied, hopefully there will be an easier fix mentioned than a full OS re-install... good luck.

Early 2009 13" Pro Time Capsule 2x iPhone 3G 2x streaming Airport Express Windows FTL
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow Leopard terminal command problem | Is there a way to access folders on your mac through a PC? »