New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Software Updater Tool Not Working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

troverman

troverman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 09 MacBook Pro 15 2.8ghz, 512MB nVidia, 7200RPM HD

Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, the software update tool doesn't work. By not working, I mean I can launch it and it does indeed check for new software, but it always says my software is all up to date.

However, other programs are telling me new updates are available. For instance, iTunes and Pages have both told me new versions are available, click to update. I click, and that launches the software update tool, which checks and then tells me everything is up-to-date.

How can I fix this?
QUOTE Thanks
troverman

I can't believe the software updater tool has never failed on anyone else.

.bump
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Dont know what your problem is but when itunes and pages launches, get the update number and go straight to the Apple site Downloads and download them straight from there....

Very weird though your updater not working.

Tried reboot and then updater ??
Sorry no solution here

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
troverman

Yes, very strange. I can download updates manually, but how will I know what and when system updates are available? I would like to get this fixed. Maybe call Apple?
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

User Library > Preferences > com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist > drag .plist to desktop and try SU again and it will make a new plist. If all OK trash the one on the desktop.
S.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Software Update > Reset ignored updates maybe?
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Software Update > Reset ignored updates maybe?
How would one go about doing that? ....well, glad that you asked hehe... ok....
click on software update in the menu bar when you run software update, and you will see it there
QUOTE Thanks
troverman

Tried removing .plist and the system did create another one but the result was the same...all your software is up-to-date...

In the system preferences folder>software update preferences it shows the last software installed was in early september.

Can't reset 'ignored' updates because after updater runs it tells me all software is up-to-date and only gives me the option to quit.

Help!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
Tried removing .plist and the system did create another one but the result was the same...all your software is up-to-date...

In the system preferences folder>software update preferences it shows the last software installed was in early september.

Can't reset 'ignored' updates because after updater runs it tells me all software is up-to-date and only gives me the option to quit.

Help!
Whilhttp://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/05/ignore-software-updates-view-previously-installed-updates/
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, the software update tool doesn't work. By not working, I mean I can launch it and it does indeed check for new software, but it always says my software is all up to date.

However, other programs are telling me new updates are available. For instance, iTunes and Pages have both told me new versions are available, click to update. I click, and that launches the software update tool, which checks and then tells me everything is up-to-date.

How can I fix this?
Out of curiosity, you say that itunes and pages have both told you that newer versions were available, but were they?
Did you find later versions and download them?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1569
QUOTE Thanks
troverman

Well I can't reset ignored updates because that option is grayed out. Not that I ever ignored any updates anyway.

Right now iTunes is at 9.0; I believe current is 9.2? So newer versions are available, same for iWork 09, I can download manually from apple.com, just haven't.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Yep, itunes is on 9.0.2, and iwork is on it's 3rd update.
I'd start by manually downloading them, or at least the 2updates in order for itunes, and same for iwork, and then maybe installing appfresh just to keep yourself upto date until you can resolve this.
I'm wondering if your receipts are intact in the HD library, which I believe software update uses to work out what apps you have that need to be updated!
If so, I would certainly be contacting apple.

Another thought that I just had, if you have time, is that you could check by backing up your system, and doing a clean install. Then you can see if software update is working.... knowing that after a clean install, it always shows up with newer software. At least then if it does work, you know that there is something corrupted in you backup.
If for instance, itunes updates to the latest version, you know that you're on the right track.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow leopard or Win. 7 | Whats are the major differences between Panther and Leopard »