Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Primarily getting one just to experience and learn about Mac OS, smart idea?
    I'm in the market for a new laptop, and am really considering a Mac. Ideally, I'd like a machine that I can run all OS's on (Mac OS, Windows, Linux). The latter two will work on pretty much any laptop, but it seems like my only option for running Mac OS is to get a Mac.

I don't really have much experience with any OS's other than Windows XP, but I am hoping to get comfortable enough with Ubuntu (Linux) to eventually use that as my primary OS. However, I'd like to try as many options as possible, which is why I wanted to also try out Mac's OS. I really don't like the idea of buying a Mac and potentially not using the OS it was built for (as it stands right now, I'm leaning much more towards Windows but could switch to Ubuntu if it is able to do everything I desire).

So I guess my question is, would it be smart to invest in a Macbook when there is (at the moment) a high possibility that I won't even use the Mac OS as my primary OS and may just use Windows 7 or Ubuntu? I realize many of you will think that I may change my mind once I get my hands on a Mac and want to keep the OS (which is also entirely possible, seeing as how I've seen many people do this), but let's just assume, for the moment, that I won't switch... is it still worth it to get the Macbook?

Thanks in advance.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Worst come to worst you install Windows or whatever OS on the MB. It's not the end of the world, at least you have an alternative OS waiting for you.

I would probably invest in an older model or refurbished if you aren't 100% sure it's what you want. That way it won't be a total lost either way.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    Worst come to worst you install Windows or whatever OS on the MB. It's not the end of the world, at least you have an alternative OS waiting for you.
    Yea. I'm not saying I won't use the Mac OS, but, before I drop a grand for a Macbook, I want to know what would happen in the worst case scenario (in my case, this would be me not liking Mac OS and remaining with Windows or switching to Linux). In the worst case scenario, I'm wondering how performance of either of those OS's will be on a Mac as I'm sure a comparable PC would be able to run Windows much better than a Mac, correct?

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Macs use the same hardware so Windows would run just as well on a Mac compared to a machine with comparable specs.

Honestly, if you're this unsure about OS X, try it out elsewhere first to see if it meets your needs. Sure, you can wipe your Mac clean and install Windows on it but you can get a Windows machine for much cheaper.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
    Is there a worst case scenario with a Mac? lol Not in my opinion, if you don't like OS X then take it off and put Windows 7, XP or Vista or any other OS you want on there! Mac's use the same hardware as any other notebook! + you still have one of the best looking notebooks on the market! (Probably) xD

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Macs use the same hardware so Windows would run just as well on a Mac compared to a machine with comparable specs.
    Oh ok.. that's comforting to know

Honestly, if you're this unsure about OS X, try it out elsewhere first to see if it meets your needs.
    Yea, I've tried it out several times. A lot of friends own Macs, and I've had some hands on time at stores and such. I don't think I can TRULY get a feel for the OS and how it compares to my current OS until I use it for a few days though.

Sure, you can wipe your Mac clean and install Windows on it but you can get a Windows machine for much cheaper.
    Yea, that's my only concern. It's possible that I will love Mac OS and stick with it, making my purchase worthy. However, I'm a little afraid that I may still want to use Windows or switch to Linux and that means I could have gotten another laptop instead.

Although I think the look and the build quality of Macbooks is superb, so even if I don't use the OS, I'll still have amazing hardware out of it. I guess if I can find a decent deal on a Macbook, I'll give it a try.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    if you are interested in trying all the OS', then the MB makes perfect sense. Now the beauty of Mac's is that they retain their values very nicely. So should you fork over the money for a MBP and play with it for a while and decide that it isn't your cup of tea, then selling it will probably yield most of your money back and that will allow you to easily buy another laptop that can run Windows/Linux for less money..

Regards

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    In my opinion, Mac OS X is what Linux has always tried to be, but can not - a UNIX-based OS with a consistent and friendly GUI.

Unfortunately, Linux's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness - and that is lack of standards for any aspect of the OS. Between KDE, Gnome, and an incredible number of distros, it's hard to pick up one version of Linux and gain a good understanding of the OS, because what works in one may not translate over to another version.

Additionally, I've found that although on the surface, distros like Ubuntu are very friendly - but if you break it in some way (like adding new hardware, enabling Compiz/Beryl, changing drivers, etc) it can be tough to fix without have a thorough knowledge of the underlying OS and the various configuration files that you might have to edit in a CLI.

Every time I've ever broken it or tried to find an answer to a problem, I might find a procedure to repair it if I'm lucky, but that procedure often involves entering commands or editing files, but no explanation of what it is that I'm actually doing.

To me, Linux is a cool toy and a good alternative to Windows, but Mac OS X delivers the positives of UNIX without the cumbersome experience of most of the Linux distros I've tried.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    Late 2008 MBP
    Before you plop some money on a Macbook, ask yourself what you would do if someone stole your right mouse button. I am now the owner of my wifes macbook that she thought would be cool because once she got it and tried it for a while she found the lack of a right mouse button to be so infuriating that she refused to use it.

I even went so far as to install windows her macbook, but without a right mouse button she felt it was still worthless. It now has fallen to our daughter to use for pre-school games. Unless you have a known need for a mac I wouldn't spend 1000 for one just to play with. I think quite frankly I would spend half that money on a cheap windows machine and just load up Mac OS on it if I wanted to just play around with it.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas998 View Post
    Before you plop some money on a Macbook, ask yourself what you would do if someone stole your right mouse button. I am now the owner of my wifes macbook that she thought would be cool because once she got it and tried it for a while she found the lack of a right mouse button to be so infuriating that she refused to use it.

I even went so far as to install windows her macbook, but without a right mouse button she felt it was still worthless. It now has fallen to our daughter to use for pre-school games. Unless you have a known need for a mac I wouldn't spend 1000 for one just to play with. I think quite frankly I would spend half that money on a cheap windows machine and just load up Mac OS on it if I wanted to just play around with it.
    You do realize that the trackpad has a right click, right? It's just a matter of enabling two-finger tapping for right click. Works in Windows too.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    Late 2008 MBP
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    You do realize that the trackpad has a right click, right? It's just a matter of enabling two-finger tapping for right click. Works in Windows too.
    Yes, I realize there are any number of ways to get a right mouse click... but when you've grown up with the simplicity of actually having two distinct buttons you really prefer having those two buttons.... frankly for the price Apple charges for a macbook especially the macbook pro, I would like to think that I deserve more than just 2 buttons.

I realize the claim that having 1 button makes it simple... I frankly come from the school of thought that leaving off a button because some people in the world are too stupid to understand the difference between right and left is asinine.

I'm also not a big fan of the "buttonless" macbook pro which has just replaced a single button with a huge button that is really a track pad... I can only imagine the only possible reason for this is to force sales of mice to apple owners so they can get all the functionality without playing yoga fingers was the reason.

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    Quote Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
    Oh ok.. that's comforting to know

Yea, I've tried it out several times. A lot of friends own Macs, and I've had some hands on time at stores and such. I don't think I can TRULY get a feel for the OS and how it compares to my current OS until I use it for a few days though.
    Yea, I am inclined to agree wtih you there. You will need to use it for a few days. Another great way to expedite the process is read about some of the features and how to use each. Definitely check out in "Anything Goes" our "What's your favorite thing about Macs?" thread. I detailed a lot of the things I really love about the OS, and so have other people. Find yourself a nice tutorial, or just read around on here... Your friends with Macs may not have spaces/expose enabled, or some of the other nice features in OS X, but that's alright. Read about them and check them out. You know Windows Search in 7 and Vista was lifted directly from Tiger after Apple showed it off and released it, Windows decided they had to include search tech that was similar. Aeroshake is just some nice goofy GUI trick to do what command+option+h will do on a Mac, which is much more efficient. Aero peek is just a windows implementation (and with less style) as Exposť. The task bar now looks like a dock anyway like in any *nix system (like OS X).

Try playing on your friends Macs again, or go into the Apple store and play around with the machines. If you're having difficulty ask one of the employees to show you some of the features.

Yea, that's my only concern. It's possible that I will love Mac OS and stick with it, making my purchase worthy. However, I'm a little afraid that I may still want to use Windows or switch to Linux and that means I could have gotten another laptop instead.

Although I think the look and the build quality of Macbooks is superb, so even if I don't use the OS, I'll still have amazing hardware out of it. I guess if I can find a decent deal on a Macbook, I'll give it a try.
    The hardware design is unbeatable. There is no windows laptop on the market that even compares with the MacBook's new trackpad. If you're going to get a white MacBook, I'd say go with the brand new model. If you are going to get an older pro, make sure it's one of the ones with the trackpad, or an aluminum unibody MacBook like I'm on, late 2008 version. They are pretty cheap from Apple, now.

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum - Apple Store (U.S.)

There, I just saved you 100 bucks and got you superior hardware.

Specs:
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    Yes, I realize there are any number of ways to get a right mouse click... but when you've grown up with the simplicity of actually having two distinct buttons you really prefer having those two buttons.... frankly for the price Apple charges for a macbook especially the macbook pro, I would like to think that I deserve more than just 2 buttons.

I realize the claim that having 1 button makes it simple... I frankly come from the school of thought that leaving off a button because some people in the world are too stupid to understand the difference between right and left is asinine.

I'm also not a big fan of the "buttonless" macbook pro which has just replaced a single button with a huge button that is really a track pad... I can only imagine the only possible reason for this is to force sales of mice to apple owners so they can get all the functionality with playing yoga fingers was the reason.
    So more buttons = simpler? Interesting idea. The multi-touch trackpad is the easiest thing I've ever used. Even better than a mouse. And I've been using computers since the late 80s.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    I think quite frankly I would spend half that money on a cheap windows machine and just load up Mac OS on it if I wanted to just play around with it.
    This violates the EULA so, no, you can't do this.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Late 2008 MBP
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
    So more buttons = simpler? Interesting idea. The multi-touch trackpad is the easiest thing I've ever used. Even better than a mouse. And I've been using computers since the late 80s.
    Yes more is simpler. Would you think it simpler if your car only had 1 pedal that was supposed to work the gas, clutch and brake based solely on your ability to tap it or caress it the right way for each function? And I've been using computers since the 70s when Apple was just a fruit in the trees.

Thread Information