New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrade from Mac OS X to Snow??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jesse

Jesse is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook: Mac OS X 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Memory iPod: 120 GB Classic

Im thinking about upgrading my fairly new Macbook to Snow Lep. Are there any big differences? Pros & Cons....... Is it worth my $30 bucks lol
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Im thinking about upgrading my fairly new Macbook to Snow Lep. Are there any big differences?....... Is it worth my $30 bucks lol
Well...almost every major software update for probably the last 4-5 years has cost $100-$129 dollars...so is 10.6 (Snow Leopard) worth $30 bucks?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I agree with Nick on this one, it's INCREDIBLY cheap for what your getting out of it as a new OS. You may not notice a lot of speed differences right away, but in the upcoming years when more and more applications can take advantage of OpenCL and Grand Central Dispatch.

They are also already nearing the second major update for 10.6 as well, so I think Apple is staying on top of things.
QUOTE Thanks
Jesse

Mac Specs: MacBook: Mac OS X 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Memory iPod: 120 GB Classic

OH WOW haha I see... well talk about cheap. Will the upgrade take up any GB space, plz take into consideration that im at 166.51GB due to music and boot camp...runnin xp .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
OH WOW haha I see... well talk about cheap. Will the upgrade take up any GB space, plz take into consideration that im at 166.51GB due to music and boot camp...runnin xp .
Actually one of the better benefits of 10.6 is that it is significantly smaller than 10.5. I've heard folks recouping 5-10+ gigs of hard drive space!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Jesse

Alright im convinced lol ill get it
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Alright im convinced lol ill get it
At $29 bucks...it's definitely one of the best "bang for your buck" computer deals around!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Haha, yea SL is pretty good for a thirty dollar OS. I think you made a good decision in upgrading.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Check the compatibility of your software first. If you use something that absolutely needs to work and it doesn't work with SL, you'll want to wait until it becomes SL ready. That said, I'm going to imagine that most products are SL ready at this point.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Check the compatibility of your software first. If you use something that absolutely needs to work and it doesn't work with SL, you'll want to wait until it becomes SL ready. That said, I'm going to imagine that most products are SL ready at this point.
You have a great point there Vansmith...the "official" release of ONYX for Snow Leopard just came out...what...yesterday?

Since 10.6 was released on August 28th...that took approx. 65 days...so it's very possible some other important programs not compatible with Snow Leopard may still be awaiting updates.

Great Point,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I've heard folks recouping 5-10+ gigs of hard drive space!
Have you actually seen the before and after yourself? As I noted in another thread MacWorld reported less than a 2GB gain, with 6GB being the maximum gain, assuming a full installation of Leopard including all printer drivers. Without that, you gain alot. SL identifies your printer(s) and only installs the drivers you need.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Have you actually seen the before and after yourself? As I noted in another thread MacWorld reported less than a 2GB gain, with 6GB being the maximum gain, assuming a full installation of Leopard including all printer drivers. Without that, you gain alot. SL identifies your printer(s) and only installs the drivers you need.
This is a well documented benefit of installing OS 10.6!!! I could supply you with enough links to "choke a horse"...but I will link just one from a fairly reputable source (Macintouch.com):

Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6) Review

As you can see they saved/recovered 6.7 gigs of hard drive space!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
monty007

monty007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.26 Ghz 500 GB, iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz 1 TB

after my upgrade I got about 5-6 GB of more free space

I love: my wife, my Mac's & exotic cars - in that order!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Over 20GB gain for myself!
Admittedly, that is on the high end compared with other users. I'd say a safe assumption for most would be 5 - 10.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6) Review

As you can see they saved/recovered 6.7 gigs of hard drive space!
I see that they saved 1.8GB under System. Perhaps that is the "under 2GB" the MacWorld article was referring to. And you would get more if you had all the unneeded printer drivers before.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bizarre icons have just appeared - yellow diamonds | Virtual box or Boot camp »