New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

having trouble reintsalling OS on a new hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

websterwer

websterwer is on a distinguished road

Okay, I've had a whole string of issues since Saturday night. I have searched the internet, and found various solutions, none of which have worked.

To start with, I have a 2006 MacBook. It's currently running no O.S, because the O.S won't install. I purchased the computer second hand, and everything had been wiped when I picked it up. Everything seemed to be in working condition, and except for the hard drive, it IS.

Saturday night, my hard drive crashed. Went through the whole "flash folder!" situation, freaked out, and took it to Apple Sunday morning. They ran the tests and confirmed the hard drive was fried. Okay, no big deal he told me, just get yourself a new hard drive. He gave the the specifications, I went to several places, and manged to get one.

It's the install that I'm wanting to pull my hair out with. The hard drive is in place in the computer, but the bracket that holds everything in will NOT go back on. The hard drive fits fine, but I can't get anything lined up! This isn't exactly something you can help me with, but it's adding to the frustration. I figured i would go ahead and get the hard drive set up. Here is where the issues are coming in.

First off, it's telling me i have no destination volume. I'm trying to format the disc/volume like I keep reading, but it won't verify. It tells me I have no valid packages. I read this comes from the previous owner probably having deleted the reciepts? So . . . here's my question. How in the world am I supposed to get past this? No one I know owns a Mac, and since the computer is literally DEAD, I can't exactly forget this particular instillation and download it or something. Some things are telling me to use the install disc - I am. It's still not finding anything.

So . . am I literally screwed? Is there anyway someone can help me out with this? Apple doesn't want to help me, because I bought the hard drive third party - but they were wanting to give me a 80GB for waaaaay more than I got the 160GB. Does this have something to do with the NEW hard drive? Is that one now messed up too?

I'm sorry for all the questions, and I know I'm new at this. It's just incredibly frustrating.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

If the drive isn't installed physically.. how can you configure it?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

I think you'll first have to find a way to properly build in the Harddisk using the bracket that comes with the MB.
Then take it from there.

If you can take it out, you can put it back as well, may be tricky... but with effort.

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I might be too late. Do you have any hair left to pull?
QUOTE Thanks
bamava

bamava is on a distinguished road

If im reading this correctly, I think i may have had this issue before..

Are you saying that the HD isnt being recognised in the installer as a destination? If so, then try plug the HD into an external case via USB or firewire and load from the installer DVD (hold C on boot).. hopefully the USB connection should be recognised as a destination
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Shutdown Time | Mail message window »