New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

problems booting 10.4.11 from ext firewire drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Birchbarkbob

Birchbarkbob is on a distinguished road

hey there, anyone can give assistance, i thought i did it all by the books, but still am not able to boot 10.4.11 from my la cie rugged 500 GB drive.
here the history:
I first got myself super duper, and made a clone off my 60 GB ailing original internal drive in my ibook g4 onto a 160 GB Western Digital drive hooked up temporarily as an external drive in a firewire enclosure.
It all went super duper as advertised.
then i swapped drives, installing the 160 GB Western Digital in the place of the 60 GB original.
All went Super Duper again, booted perfectly, behaves well, happy customer!

That's when i bought the external La Cie Rugged 500GB firewire drive. I wanted to have my mac with me when travelling by bike, yet not have the weight of the thing with me. So i partitioned the drive 4 ways.
one 160gb partition to clone my i books new internal harddrive's content and operating system 10.4.11 to.
Again using super duper, that seemed to all go well.
So now i have been on my trip for a while and everywhere i happen upon a mac i go into Startup disk and my boot partition shows up beside the one of the computer where my La Cie is firewired to.
<then when i click on restart, the Powerbook g4 i'm having access to right shuts down and ends up booted again from it's own 10.4.11
Strange i think,
in finder my La Cie shows up with all 4 partitions, the bootable one aswell and i can access all files and data, but seem unable to boot from it.

Any ideas?
Thank you very much indeed.
robbbert in finland's autonomous åland archipelago, month 5 of the bike trip begun in may
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

PowerPC machines, all G3, G4 and most G5's, generally cannot boot from USB, even USB2 drives, as it is too slow. You need to be backed up on a Firewire external drive, formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and Apple Partition Map, even if using one partition.

La Cie have had Mac problems and earlier this year discontinued Mac support.
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

Birchbarkbob

If I'm reading correctly your lacie drive is firewire right ...

I am not sure why its not able to boot to it .. I have been using superduper to clone drives for months and have yet to have it let me down.. but I have been cloning drives with only 1 partition not multiple.. I am wondering if the multiple partitions have messed up the boot structure some way shape or form ... have you tried re-imaging it?

Have you tried System Preferences Startup Disk? telling it to boot to the external?

Tis odd.

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Mulitple partitions should not matter. Have one of my externals with 3 partitions. Two of them bootable. One partition with 10.5, one with 10.6 and via SuperDuper!

My understanding (as I'm a newb, never owned a PPC) is that PPC required Apple partition map and Intels require a GUID partition table. I have never tried booting my backup on another Mac, but I would guess this would still hold true trying to boot from an external, same as the internal drive.

It could be a matter of your backup just not having the drivers that are required to boot the hardware of the Mac(s) you are now trying.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Space | Transferring to a new Mac.. »