Thread: Going back to os 9
09-29-2003, 03:44 PM #1exsanguinGuestGoing back to os 9
OK so I goofed up when i installed OS X on my machine. I clicked erase every thing and install OS X. Then I ignored the message saying I should install OS 9 before I continue. Now when I try and go back and put OS 9 on, it says you need OS9.1 to start classic. And it wont let me boot from the CD. What do I do?
09-29-2003, 03:59 PM #2
Put the OS9 install CD on there, and move the files you need from the CD (System Folder and Applications) over to your hard drive. youll need to rename the Applications folder off the OS 9 cd to something like Classic Applications or Applications (OS 9) so it doesnt replace your OS X applications folder
09-29-2003, 04:04 PM #3exsanguinGuest
Would copying the applications folder and the system folder from my other mac work the same way?
09-29-2003, 04:05 PM #4goodolebwinchesGuest
Going to need a little more information:
1. To you have an OS 9 install CD?
2. To you have an OS 10.2 install CD(I assume you do)?
3. Is it okay to wipe your current hard drive clean(meaning erase it and start all over...deleting all information on it)?
4. If we are going to wipe it, how big is the drive?
5. If we start over scratch....would you be willing to make 4 even partitions on the master drive as listed below:
a) 1 partition for OS 9
b) 1 partition for OS 10.2
c) 1 partition for OS 10.3(this way is if doesn't run well on the older system we can always revert to 10.2 with ease)
d) 1 partition for Yellowdog Linux(got to give it a try someday..just for the heck of it)
09-29-2003, 04:12 PM #5exsanguinGuestOriginally Posted by goodolebwinches
09-29-2003, 04:28 PM #6
09-29-2003, 04:40 PM #7exsanguinGuest
Its Telling me that the items could not be moved because the 01 Macintosh HD (thats the name of my HD) cannot modified. What do i do now?
09-29-2003, 04:44 PM #8
09-29-2003, 04:55 PM #9exsanguinGuestOriginally Posted by MacAddikt
09-29-2003, 05:00 PM #10
09-29-2003, 05:06 PM #11exsanguinGuest
it says im allowed to administer the computer. but still wont let me modify the hard drive. how do i erase and start from scratch.
09-29-2003, 05:28 PM #12goodolebwinchesGuest
You didn't answer as to whether or not is was ok to wipe the drive completely and start over!
If it is ok, then here is what you do:
1. Insert the Mac OS 9 install CD.
2. RESTART the machine and hold down the C key DURING RESTART.
3. DOUBLE CLICK on the UTILITIES FOLDER.
4. DOUBLE CLICK on DRIVE SET-UP.
5. Select the hard drive that you would like to repartition.
6. Choose CUSTOM SET UP.
7. Within the DRIVE menu select with the down arrow 4 PARTITIONS.
8. On the LEFT SIDE make 4 even partitions or choose the smallest/bottom one to be at least 10GB(the smallest one will get YELLOWDOG LINUX in the future).
9. For your FIRST PARTITION on the right select MAC OS STANDARD.
10. For the NEXT TWO DOWN select MAC OS EXTENDED for both(these two will be for OS 10.1-10.2 and the up coming 10.3). We want to keep 10.3 seperate for now, for we don't the the demands it might put on your system.
11. And for the LAST PARTITION(the smallest one) we will select UNALLOCATED on the right(this partition will be for LINUX that you are going to try out before years end). Should you not wish to install Linux you can always later down the road use this as a storage extension, but come on....let's give Linux a try.
12. PRESS OK and then INITIALIZE.
13. After all is done we are going to QUIT DRIVE SET-UP and name the HARDDRIVES on the left of the screen.
14. Only 3 will show up, because the 4th is unallocated.
15. For now(so you won't get mixed up) NAME the the first drive OS 9, the SECOND OS X, and the third OS PANTHER.
16. Continue the installation of OS 9 on the "OS 9" drive.
17. After installation is complete of OS 9, and you have it up and running, immediately CLICK SOFTWARE UPDATE to receive all the SOFTWARE UPDATES. Do this until you have it up to OS 9.2.2 with G4 FIRMWARE UPDATE(It is going to take at least an hour to fully get OS 9 on their alone).
18. Make sure you have the OS up to OS 9.2.2 with the G4 update before you move to OS 10.
19. Once you're done with OS 9 move onto OS 10 by inserting the disc, RESTARTING HOLD DOWN LETTER "C" KEY WHILE RESTARTING.
20. Install OS 10 on the "OS 10" drive and get yourself it's updates...maybe even go buy the JAQUAR UPGRADE.
21. Now you have both OS's installed and room for PANTHER and LINUX in the future.
09-29-2003, 05:31 PM #13goodolebwinchesGuest
For the bottom most partition the LINUX one make it 3-5GB. Sorry, I said 10GB...just remembered you only have a 30GB drive.
09-29-2003, 05:45 PM #14exsanguinGuestOriginally Posted by goodolebwinches
09-29-2003, 05:55 PM #15goodolebwinchesGuest
1. Insert the OS 9 INSTALL CD
2. Hold down the LETTER "C" on the keyboard.
4. KEEP HOLDING DOWN THE LETTER "C".
5. It should boot from the CD, provided you hold down the LETTER "C" KEY the entire time during RESTART.
6. Once you get it to boot from CD...you want to follow my early post instructions.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By gramo031 in forum Other Hardware and PeripheralsReplies: 1Last Post: 12-18-2013, 11:41 PM
By wiragocha in forum Movies and VideoReplies: 1Last Post: 08-11-2013, 11:34 AM
By 6newmac5 in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 19Last Post: 09-05-2012, 03:51 AM
By tigo in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 2Last Post: 03-25-2012, 09:08 AM
By Mac_Badger in forum Internet, Networking, and WirelessReplies: 2Last Post: 08-05-2009, 07:54 PM