New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How can I clean my Mac so it "moves" faster


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
silvermac4108

 
silvermac4108's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 02, 2009
Posts: 62
silvermac4108 is on a distinguished road

silvermac4108 is offline
Hi:

My iMac is only a year old, but it seems so sluggish.

How can I clean it up so it "moves" faster.

I have Comcast for my ISP....maybe that is the problem, huh?

THANKS.

Elizabeth
QUOTE Thanks
6string

 
Member Since: Sep 09, 2009
Location: Down Under :D
Posts: 5,484
6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

6string is offline
Need a little more info Elizabath..... I know they say that size doesn't matter hehe.... but what is the size of your HD, and how much space is left?
Following that, before suspecting the ISP, how is it running when not on the internet, ie. just using word, or pages etc?

If it is running slowly then, assuming that your caches, etc aren't loaded to the max, that you haven't flooded it with startup items, your desktop isn't full, and your trash is empty, you could always do a clean install of your leopard or snow leopard, and then a clean install of all the software that you have on there, and then migrate your documents, pics, music, etc.
Taking it a step further, which is tedious, and depending on how comfortable you are with it, you could do what I did....
Clean install of OS X and installed 3rd party software, and moving over the keychains, app support and preferences, and everything else necessary to have all the applications running where you left off. For instance, firefox with all the bookmarks and add ons, mail up and running etc.
When I took the last option, I gained a couple of gig more space, which means that I also cleared a lot of residual prefs etc that I had left over from old applications, as well as conflicting prefs for apps that I still use.
This sped things up significantly for me, but took a few attempts to get it right, as a lot of files needed to run applications as they were, were located in places that I didn't suspect they would be.

So, I guess, a little more info is needed unless I have answered your question already.
QUOTE Thanks
silvermac4108

 
silvermac4108's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 02, 2009
Posts: 62
silvermac4108 is on a distinguished road

silvermac4108 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Need a little more info Elizabath..... I know they say that size doesn't matter hehe.... but what is the size of your HD, and how much space is left?
Following that, before suspecting the ISP, how is it running when not on the internet, ie. just using word, or pages etc?

If it is running slowly then, assuming that your caches, etc aren't loaded to the max, that you haven't flooded it with startup items, your desktop isn't full, and your trash is empty, you could always do a clean install of your leopard or snow leopard, and then a clean install of all the software that you have on there, and then migrate your documents, pics, music, etc.
Taking it a step further, which is tedious, and depending on how comfortable you are with it, you could do what I did....
Clean install of OS X and installed 3rd party software, and moving over the keychains, app support and preferences, and everything else necessary to have all the applications running where you left off. For instance, firefox with all the bookmarks and add ons, mail up and running etc.
When I took the last option, I gained a couple of gig more space, which means that I also cleared a lot of residual prefs etc that I had left over from old applications, as well as conflicting prefs for apps that I still use.
This sped things up significantly for me, but took a few attempts to get it right, as a lot of files needed to run applications as they were, were located in places that I didn't suspect they would be.

So, I guess, a little more info is needed unless I have answered your question already.
All is sluggish....I am not comfortable about installing anything.

It says 175.7 GB available...not sure where I find the size of the HD.

There isn't any kind of cleanup like on a PC and defragmentation?.

I empty the cache on Firefox....I tried using Safari...thought the iMac liked Safari better, but it didn't move any faster.

THANKS for your suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

 
Member Since: Sep 09, 2009
Location: Down Under :D
Posts: 5,484
6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

6string is offline
ok..... sounds like you're fairly new to Mac... so, I'll start with go to Applications/utilities/disk utilities>then go to start up disk (your HD) and click repair disk permissions. (you will also see the size of your HD there)
After that, you may want to download Onyx, or Mainmenu 1.7.4 (free version, but a lot of sites though telling you that you're downloading 1.7.4, will give you 2.x.x.. so keep trying until you get the right version)
Both of these will do all that you want as far as cleanup goes!
Defrag on Mac is not common practice, and not necessary!
PS Safari is no good (my opinion, as is many a people's opinion... Firefox is the one to use), as for safari, easy way to go about it is to go to Safari in menu bar, and chooses reset safari!

When I say clean install, first option, I'm referring to your OS X install discs. So... backing up your system, on time machine ie, and then doing an erase/install, and restoring your mac from the external HD. (There are many ways to back up and do a clean install, so if you want to do that, post that in your reply and you will be assisted with that, and the options available.)

It's all very simple whatever way you want to go!

As specifically as possible, the more information that you can give about your iMac, OS X version, the more either I or the many on Mac Forums will be more than willing to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
silvermac4108

 
silvermac4108's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 02, 2009
Posts: 62
silvermac4108 is on a distinguished road

silvermac4108 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
ok..... sounds like you're fairly new to Mac... so, I'll start with go to Applications/utilities/disk utilities>then go to start up disk (your HD) and click repair disk permissions. (you will also see the size of your HD there)
After that, you may want to download Onyx, or Mainmenu 1.7.4 (free version, but a lot of sites though telling you that you're downloading 1.7.4, will give you 2.x.x.. so keep trying until you get the right version)
Both of these will do all that you want as far as cleanup goes!
Defrag on Mac is not common practice, and not necessary!
PS Safari is no good (my opinion, as is many a people's opinion... Firefox is the one to use), as for safari, easy way to go about it is to go to Safari in menu bar, and chooses reset safari!

When I say clean install, first option, I'm referring to your OS X install discs. So... backing up your system, on time machine ie, and then doing an erase/install, and restoring your mac from the external HD. (There are many ways to back up and do a clean install, so if you want to do that, post that in your reply and you will be assisted with that, and the options available.)

It's all very simple whatever way you want to go!

As specifically as possible, the more information that you can give about your iMac, OS X version, the more either I or the many on Mac Forums will be more than willing to assist you.
Yes....very new to a Mac....thanks for all your information...will check this out after work this evening.

I do back up the system...had help with that from my son...can't have his help until he comes home for Xmas.
QUOTE Thanks
silvermac4108

 
silvermac4108's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 02, 2009
Posts: 62
silvermac4108 is on a distinguished road

silvermac4108 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
ok..... sounds like you're fairly new to Mac... so, I'll start with go to Applications/utilities/disk utilities>then go to start up disk (your HD) and click repair disk permissions. (you will also see the size of your HD there)
After that, you may want to download Onyx, or Mainmenu 1.7.4 (free version, but a lot of sites though telling you that you're downloading 1.7.4, will give you 2.x.x.. so keep trying until you get the right version)
Both of these will do all that you want as far as cleanup goes!
Defrag on Mac is not common practice, and not necessary!
PS Safari is no good (my opinion, as is many a people's opinion... Firefox is the one to use), as for safari, easy way to go about it is to go to Safari in menu bar, and chooses reset safari!

When I say clean install, first option, I'm referring to your OS X install discs. So... backing up your system, on time machine ie, and then doing an erase/install, and restoring your mac from the external HD. (There are many ways to back up and do a clean install, so if you want to do that, post that in your reply and you will be assisted with that, and the options available.)

It's all very simple whatever way you want to go!

As specifically as possible, the more information that you can give about your iMac, OS X version, the more either I or the many on Mac Forums will be more than willing to assist you.
Just found this:

Mount Point : / Capacity : 200.9 GB (215,687,888,896 Bytes)

Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Available : 176.9 GB (189,914,132,480 Bytes)

Owners Enabled : Yes Used : 24.0 GB (25,773,756,416 Bytes)

Number of Folders : 146,620 Number of Files : 590,567
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

 
JUKE179r's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 01, 2009
Location: DohaLondonVegas
Posts: 882
JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

JUKE179r is offline
How much RAM do you have?
Max out the RAM if you can.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
6string

 
Member Since: Sep 09, 2009
Location: Down Under :D
Posts: 5,484
6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

6string is offline
ok... well any problems, or unsure, look before you leap because as stated, there are many a mac hands ready to help in this forum, and there are no stupid questions, so if unsure, ask!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

 
Member Since: Sep 09, 2009
Location: Down Under :D
Posts: 5,484
6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

6string is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
How much RAM do you have?
Max out the RAM if you can.
Yes... and Ram is always good to have much of
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

 
Sawday's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 19, 2006
Location: York, UK
Posts: 1,015
Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Sawday is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
How much RAM do you have?
Max out the RAM if you can.
I'm sure OP being a complete newbie to macs will not have a clue what 'Max out the Ram' actually means. And as they are not happily doing software installs then they are hardly likely to start playing with the innards.

One thing no one has suggested yet to the original poster is to ensure that you are properly closing applications that you are not using. I't so easy just to think you have closed them by clicking the top left hand button when what they really need to do is close the item. Too many applications left running is one sure way to slow things down.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,747
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
I would also like to add that "maxing out the ram" is not always the solution to slow computers...in fact, it's rarely the answer!

Sometimes increasing ram may help (depending on the situation). The OP's computer is only 1 year old...and most 1 year old iMacs (depending on the model) have a max ram capacity of 6 - 8 gigs.

Very very few users need 6-8 gigs of ram...so maxing out the ram is rarely the solution!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TechieJustin

 
TechieJustin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 16, 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 298
TechieJustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15"

TechieJustin is offline
I saw 6string and just have to say it...

"bought it at the 5 & Dime"


Also, is HFS+ based off ext2/ext3? Or is it completely different?
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

 
Sawday's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 19, 2006
Location: York, UK
Posts: 1,015
Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Sawday is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieJustin View Post
I saw 6string and just have to say it...

"bought it at the 5 & Dime"


Also, is HFS+ based off ext2/ext3? Or is it completely different?
Which in English means???

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

You could also download and install Onyx (it's free) which has automated scripts that will verify/repair permissions, clean all your cache, and also run the daily/weekly/monthly maintenance scripts that sometimes might get skipped due to the computer being asleep or powered down every night.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

 
TattooedMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 19, 2009
Location: Waiting for a mate . . .
Posts: 7,796
TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

TattooedMac is offline
With sluggish OS, I run the Repair Disk Permissions and yes it does a good job.

Over the last month i have trialled MainMenu and quote "MainMenu is a powerful maintenance tool to keep your Mac running like new, packed in a slick and simple interface. Improve application performance, make searching faster and speed up your disk access. All that and more is just two clicks".
I have found this by far the best out there and the easiest to use, especially for the new to Mac people. To the point i have just purchased it.
A software install is as easy as once downloaded drag into Applications.....

This software made my Mac quicker and in it cleaning it up i have on average received back about 2Gb in each running of it. (every week)

MainMenu download here

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Problem Installing Snow Leopard | Dock Icons Stuck »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
how to clean my mac candy1987 Switcher Hangout 17 10-21-2009 01:14 PM
Tips for keeping your Mac clean Freddy Switcher Hangout 5 04-03-2008 10:42 PM
Mac Users Get More ISP Choices schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 1 03-06-2003 10:57 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?