New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Installing OS X Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gensmom2000

gensmom2000 is on a distinguished road

Forgive me if I should have read through the almost 800 pages of forum to find where this may have been answered. I'm new here today.

My PowerBook G4 has not been used in several years. It came with OS 10.2.8and some things like Virex, Internet Explorer, and Outlook EXpress.

I want to install Leopard, but have been given to understand that I should uninstall some things first.

What should I uninstall and how should I go about that?

Thanks so much for your help,
Anna Marie
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

In my opinion it would be best to back up your documents and everything you want to save to an external USB hard drive or something similar.

Then you reinstall your computer completely by wiping the hard drive so you get a fresh system installed. You can format the hard drive when you install the new system. When you have done that you copy the files you backupped back to your Mac. And resume your work

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gensmom2000 View Post
I want to install Leopard, but have been given to understand that I should uninstall some things first.

What should I uninstall and how should I go about that?
I've never heard that...just go ahead & do the install (don't forgot to back up anything important just in case of a problem).

BTW...does your Powerbook meet the system requirements for 10.5?

Minimum CPU speed is 867mhz.

Finally...I hope that you have the Black Leopard install disk with the big "X" on it. If you have the grey disks...they probably won't work.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What are the specs on that Powerbook? Leopard wants a minimum of a G4 867Mhz CPU. What is the CPU speed and how much RAM?

Also I think what the OP might be talking about is when 10.5 came out, a few 3rd party apps caused havoc just like with 10.6 are are better uninstalled first before upgrading to 10.5. Since he is running 10.2, who knows what is installed and even loading at startup.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SystemUIServer owning cpu after i switched some icons | Software Update »