New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Boot & Time Machine Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tmartin149

tmartin149 is on a distinguished road

I have a new 27 " imac for two weeks and new to apple OS. I ran the time machine application and it archived all the data to an IOMEGA USB drive.
I installed Parallels 4 desktop for Mac and then windows 7 as a virtual machine. I then ran boot camp and created a 32 gb partition and attempted to install Windows 7 with no luck. I then ran boot camp again and restored the system to a single Mac HD.

When I do a total shutdown, the system just hangs looking like a dos window. WHen I hold the option key down, Only a SIngle MAC hard drive is displayed, and then I can get back into MAC OS ok.

Now when I attempt to run Time Machine, the application no longer comes up but the main window drops down to the bottom of the screen (say today) and then a window that says desktop is display and not the time machine application.

Do I need to reinstall the MAC OS or what do you recommend?
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartin149 View Post
Now when I attempt to run Time Machine, the application no longer comes up but the main window drops down to the bottom of the screen (say today) and then a window that says desktop is display and not the time machine application.

Do I need to reinstall the MAC OS or what do you recommend?
You mean you see this:

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

When you remove a Boot Camp partition, it's best to do a PRAM reset so that the EFI isn't looking for a partition that no longer exists. Turn the iMac on, press and hold Command + Option + P + R simultaneously. Continue holding until you've heard the system chime three times.

That should correct the slow boot issue.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I transfer a clone image from one mac to another? | Defrag? »