New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can I create more than 1 partition with Boot Camp?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

starfish34

starfish34 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have Windows 7 but I want to keep my XP partition. When I start boot camp it only ask me to a.) Create or Restore Windows partition, I select that and it just says click ok to delete xp and does not give me the option to create Or b.) start the windows installer which starts, but I didn't let it finish since my mac just restarted without letting me select how large the drive should be or anything
QUOTE Thanks
starfish34

Oh, also, Happy Halloween!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Boot Camp is limited to dual boot configuration. There are third party boot loaders that will allow you to install more than one extra OS. But my question to you is why you wouldn't just use virtualization software and use Windows in virtual machines? It's a whole lot easier.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
starfish34

Interesting. I've seen other Macs, like on you tube, have many partitions, like Tiger on top of Leopard, and Vista and XP and Linux.

I am very anti-3rd party anything. So I don't think I want to go that way. And virtual pc is really the same thing.

Certainly there must be a way I can just do it myself? I guess I would start by creating a partition in Disk Utility but then I have to load the OS. You know I'd really like the freedom to have as many OS's on my Mac as I need, as I am never very sure what I will need. I like to have options.

Does any one know a good starting place for such a project?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I would strongly recommend you look into VMWare Fusion, Parallels Desktop or Virtual Box. Otherwise, you're going to have to do some manual partitioning (which puts your data at risk) and fool around with EFI issues, MBR emulation and boot loaders. None of which are for the faint of heart.

Virtualization will allow you to sandbox multiple operating systems, while still maintaining native levels of performance. Their only weakness is high-end 3D rendering (think modern games).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« POSIX error | OS X Language Packs! »