New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

XPostFacto - Does it really work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7594

I was just curious as to whether anybody has tried XPostFacto and whether or not it works as advertised? I have a PowerComputing PowerTower Pro that I am seriously thinking about trying this on...

Thanks for any responses!
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

From posts I've read in the past I think Padawan has used it, or is at least very familiar with it. Hopefully he'll post here and give us some insight on it. I would like to know how well it works as well just in case I ever want to pick up an old school mac as an internet access point and I want to run OS X on it.

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i voted, i dont know what it is for though

QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Hi all. Yes, I have used XPostFacto a number of times (back when it was beta as well as the newest "stable" release found on VersionTracker and MacUpdate). It works extremely well in my experience, and does everything as advertised. I used it to install Panther on "unsupported" Beige G3 AIO's, and the process was almost as simple as performing a regular installation, just with a few extra steps.

This link provides basically all of the information you'll need, as well as a download link for the application itself. If you run into any problems, let me know and I'll do my best to help out, but it should really go quite smoothly as long as you read and follow the instructions.

BTW, the specs on my G3 AIO are as follows:

G3 233 - Over-clocked to 315 MHz
768 MB RAM
20 GB HDD (OS X must be installed on the first 7.99 GB partition)
OS X 10.3.9

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

Sweet, thanks Padawan.. now Ill have to see if my PowerTower Pro can handle it It says I should be able to handle 10.2, not 10.3.. which is fine.. Im pretty excited here
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Sweet, thanks Padawan.. now Ill have to see if my PowerTower Pro can handle it It says I should be able to handle 10.2, not 10.3.. which is fine.. Im pretty excited here
Definitely keep us posted. :mac: What are the specs of your machine?

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Here you go:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/powe...er_pro250.html

I don't remember how much ram or hard drive space I have, since I don't have the sucker plugged in right now, but I know I upgraded them both.
QUOTE Thanks
jhelm007

jhelm007 is a jewel in the roughjhelm007 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD

I installed an earlier version of XPf on a power tower pro (which I got for $5 on ebay!!!) with a g4 upgrade and it ran fairly well. I occasionally had to re-boot to OS-9 to make it boot 10.2, but once it was up and running it worked great. I had it installed on a 40gig ATA100 drive hooked up to a PCI host adapter. I had a radeon 7000 video card installed. I've since taken all the upgrades for a more modern machine, but I just read that the latest version of XPf lets you run 10.2 on the 604e processor so I may give it a try just to see if it works.

Good luck
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS10 User Station on Server 10.3.8? | Does early order = Tiger? »