New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Can I use Snow Leopard to install a OS on a mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macpacker

macpacker is on a distinguished road

Hi there.

My Macbook hard drive has broke. I have got a new one and I was wondering is the Snow leopard disc all I need to get up and running again?

P.S. Sorry if this sound a little dumb.
QUOTE Thanks
Periculum

Periculum is an unknown at this point

As far as I understood from the Mac Genius at my local store is that there is the SL Update and the complete SL disk. If you bought the update, you can only use it as an update and need the original OS X install disc to install it.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

The upgrade SL disc can be used on its own to re-install the OS. I have done it and it works fine. You don't need the Leopard disc.
QUOTE Thanks
macpacker

macpacker is on a distinguished road

Brilliant. I have lost the the original OS X disc that came with my Macbook. It was the 1st model of MacBook that came out. I upgraded to snow leopard recently and two days ago my hard drive made some strange clicking noises. (it has been dropped a number of times). I have been told by a offical Apple repairer that the hard drive has died. They want £178 to put a new hard drive in, which I think is a bit too much so I have brought a new hard drive to do the replacement.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sreensavers unavailable on 10.6 | "Save as PDF" doesnt work after SL upgrade »