Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Sep 03, 2009
    Posts
    48
    How to make seagate 500gb portable compatible for mac and pc
    How do i make my external portable hard disc 500gb Seagate FreeAgent Go (For windows only) compatible for both mac and pc.
    Any other option thn formatting on FAT32 (Becs it got file size limitation of 4 GB)
    By default will it b compatible for both mac and pc machines ?
    I m using intel core 2 duo Macbook pro 2.53

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill/UK
    Posts
    664
    Specs:
    MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    Download NTFS-3G and MacFuse in order to make OS X able to write to NTFS formatted drives and then format the drive as NTFS.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Aug 28, 2009
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by True Bassist View Post
    Download NTFS-3G and MacFuse in order to make OS X able to write to NTFS formatted drives and then format the drive as NTFS.
    Or...
    Use FAT32 to format the USB HD.
    It isn't great - FAT32 has a limitation of 4GB per FILE, but otherwise, it's the easiest and most transportable. I use it to share my VMWare virtual machines between my Macs & PCs - as long as I tell VMWare to use 2GB "chunks" for the vmdk images.

    If you use a FUSE driver, the USB drive works fine on your Mac, but not someone else's.

    FAT32 works every where, including Linux.

  4. #4

    Dysfunction's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    6,881
    Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
    Or...
    Use FAT32 to format the USB HD.
    It isn't great - FAT32 has a limitation of 4GB per FILE, but otherwise, it's the easiest and most transportable. I use it to share my VMWare virtual machines between my Macs & PCs - as long as I tell VMWare to use 2GB "chunks" for the vmdk images.

    If you use a FUSE driver, the USB drive works fine on your Mac, but not someone else's.

    FAT32 works every where, including Linux.
    a simple cross-platform, built in solution? Too easy!~
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill/UK
    Posts
    664
    Specs:
    MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    Quote Originally Posted by ticedoff8 View Post
    If you use a FUSE driver, the USB drive works fine on your Mac, but not someone else's.
    Seriously? I haven't had this problem while using my external NTFS drive with other Mac or Windows machines!?!?

    Or have I just missed something =p

  6. #6

    Dysfunction's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    6,881
    Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Bassist View Post
    Seriously? I haven't had this problem while using my external NTFS drive with other Mac or Windows machines!?!?

    Or have I just missed something =p
    How does it work on a mac without macfuse installed?
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Sep 03, 2009
    Posts
    48
    Thnks indeed for all the helpful responses
    yesterday i bought the 500 gb hard disc and it works fine on both pc and mac without macfuse or fat32 formatting on it.I can acess all the files in it.Dont kno hw my mac automatically detected it ?
    But the 8 gb pen drive which i bought along with it is not recognised on mac machine
    y is it so ? eventhough both r NTFS formatted ?

  8. #8

    Dysfunction's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    6,881
    Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    More than likely it was formatted in FAT by the manufacturer. You can check, hook it up and look at the drive and do a right click and then get info.. it'll more than likely say MSDOS... that's FAT.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Seagate 500GB Portable Hard Drive Not Recognized Anymore!
    By guy6243 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2012, 02:01 PM
  2. Seagate Expansion Portable for MAC
    By Oakey1977 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-08-2012, 02:50 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2012, 09:43 PM
  4. 500GB Seagate Hybrid SSD/HDD for Mac? Does anyone have?
    By The Mac DJ in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 12:33 PM
  5. Portable 250gb or Stationary 500gb???
    By Andry in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 06:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •