New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.2 - How do I upgrade my os

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gmaccall

gmaccall is on a distinguished road

I have a Mac Dual 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 with OS X Version 10.2.8 what discs do I need to update and where can I get them?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaccall View Post
I have a Mac Dual 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 with OS X Version 10.2.8 what discs do I need to update and where can I get them?
Depends what OS version you want to install. You could install 10.3, 10.4, or 10.5...and get the install disks on eBay.

But you won't like the prices...10.4 or 10.5 are currently selling for $100 to almost $200 in some cases.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
HunterHektner

HunterHektner is on a distinguished road

Well if your running OS 10.2 then your most likely using a old mac such as an ibook or something. In most cases you wont be able to run OS 10.6 the highest you can probably go is OS 10.5. Again this is all assuming your using a old mac like an ibook. You can buy install disks from ebay or get them somewhere else online if you can find out what other sites might sell them.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterHektner View Post
Well if your running OS 10.2 then your most likely using a old mac such as an ibook or something. In most cases you wont be able to run OS 10.6 the highest you can probably go is OS 10.5. Again this is all assuming your using a old mac like an ibook. You can buy install disks from ebay or get them somewhere else online if you can find out what other sites might sell them.
10.6 is Intel-only. Anything that can run 10.2 (which would have been PPC only) will not run 10.6.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterHektner View Post
Well if your running OS 10.2 then your most likely using a old mac such as an ibook or something.
The OP mentioned that they have a dual processor 1.42ghz Powermac G4...which definitely exceeds the system requirements for 10.5.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
gmaccall

Will all the programs I have now work when I install it?
QUOTE Thanks
gmaccall

If I get 10.5 will the programs I have now run properly? Final Cut Pro and Roxio toast for example?
QUOTE Thanks
viWoody

viWoody is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If I get 10.5 will the programs I have now run properly? Final Cut Pro and Roxio toast for example?
Yes in most cases, after you update each application to the current versions.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
This is where your homework comes in. You're talking about 3 OS versions later. Anytime there is an upgrade to the OS, some apps are going to be broken.

Some developers give up and their app dies with the previous OS. Some quickly work on getting out an update for the new OS. Some, especially 3 OS versions later, have quit supporting their app from several years ago and will require an upgrade to a newer version.

Google is your friend. Leopard has been out for 2 years, so more than likely every version of an app you have has already been tested by someone and the problems will be out there waiting to be found.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Does Apple still sell older versions of OSX? I know they used to do that back in the pre-X days. I couldn't quickly find the answer on the Apple Store website, but you could call 1-800-MY-APPLE and ask.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My active corners randomly stopped working | Backing Up and Reformatting for BootCamp »