New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

my Firefox gets stack all time

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nena1110

nena1110 is on a distinguished road

HELPP!!!

I have a macbook pro and i think i got a virus. There is a one going around facebook on videos. I clicked on it but supposedly macs do not get virus it shouldn't be affected. Now i realise that my Firefox gets stack all time, something that never happened before. The same happens with Safari and youtube too!!!
They told me that this new virus affects macs too because another mac user is also affected by it (her mac does not open!)
Please HELPPP. do i have a virus? how can i remove it?????
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

There are no viruses on Mac.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

That's right no Mac virus. If there was it would lead the nightly news. And be on the front page of every newspaper.

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
nena1110

nena1110 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
That's right no Mac virus. If there was it would lead the nightly news. And be on the front page of every newspaper.
oh thank God!!! is there a way to check for viruses for just in case though?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There are so many Windows viruses floating around Facebook, any time someone has a problem with their computer it's immediately blamed on a virus.

To reiterate Eric559, there are no viruses that can function in OS X at this time.

There are a couple of Trojans. They will only run in OS X if you downloaded, and entered your admin password when you installed it. Didn't do that, you don't have one of those either.

You would be better off starting over, calm down, take a breath and stating whatever problem you may be having, plainly, along with what Mac you have and which version OS X you are using in order to get some help troubleshooting.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

As everyone has stated here: Mac OS X does not get viruses.

And if anything, no matter what computer (Windows machine or Apple), you should ALWAYS have anti-virus software (which can also detect trojans and other malicious software). Now, all we need is:

What version of Mac OS X are you using?
We know you have a MacBook Pro, but which one?
And if anything here, do you have av software? If you do, run a full and complete scan.

Though (as far as I know) that there are a few trojans, if anything you would've had to execute something for a trojan to start. If Safari and/or FireFox refuses to work, more than likely you just need to clear your cookies, though, someone here who has better knowledge in web browsing will clear that one up and correct me. Don't you worry, you are in good hands on this forum, and there is no need to be freaking out.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 7.1.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 7.1.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.4
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB1
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
As everyone has stated here: Mac OS X does not get viruses.
This implies that the OS is impervious to viruses. Just to clarify, there are currently no viruses (by the strictest of definitions) for OS X. That doesn't mean that there never will be - eventually someone will come along with a true virus, it's only a matter of time.

At the moment, there are a couple of trojans, associated with a video player/codec. One must implicitly install these programs in order to be effected. The symptoms of such an installation (I'm loathe to use the term "infection", because it's intentionally inflicted) are being redirected to other websites other than the ones you intend to go to.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:

And if anything, no matter what computer (Windows machine or Apple), you should ALWAYS have anti-virus software (which can also detect trojans and other malicious software). Now, all we need is:

I would disagree with that statement, as I believe, the vast majority of OS X users would. There is absolutely no good reason why I would need an anti-virus app that can only detect windows viruses running full time on my Mac.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I would disagree with that statement. As I believe, the vast majority of OS X users would. There is absolutely no good reason why I would need an anti-virus app that can only detect windows viruses running full time on my Mac.
I guess you have a point, but I stated that as an "in case" thing. Like in case something new pops up in the wild. Are you saying that the majority of Mac OS X av apps scan for Windows stuff? That makes no sense!

@cwa

"This implies that the OS is impervious to viruses. Just to clarify, there are currently no viruses (by the strictest of definitions) for OS X. That doesn't mean that there never will be - eventually someone will come along with a true virus, it's only a matter of time."

That I knew. There could be one day, but at the present moment, well...that's why I stated that.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I guess you have a point, but I stated that as an "in case" thing. Like in case something new pops up in the wild. Are you saying that the majority of Mac OS X av apps scan for Windows? That makes no sense!
That is correct. Since there are no viruses in the wild, the definition file updates you receive, contain signatures of the latest Windows-based malware. And for the privilege of being able to detect Windows-only nasties, you get to pay companies like Intego $70+ per year. Because, you see, when you purchase their product, you are buying an annual subscription for that dubious benefit.

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
That is correct. Since there are no viruses in the wild, the definition file updates you receive, contain signatures of the latest Windows-based malware. And for the privilege of being able to detect Windows-only nasties, you get to pay companies like Intego $70+ per year. Because, you see, when you purchase their product, you are buying an annual subscription for that dubious benefit.
What about Symantec for Mac? (Basically a higher end version of Norton AV for Mac). This grinds my teeth, I mean, why create it if it's just going to scan for Windows malware?

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
What about Symantec for Mac? (Basically a higher end version of Norton AV for Mac). This grinds my teeth, I mean, why create it if it's just going to scan for Windows malware?
Anti-Virus products work in two ways. A good AV product will employ some form of 'heuristics', basically using artificial intelligence to try to detect virus-like activity. Heuristic analysis, more often than not, produces more false positives and system slowness than actually catching anything. So, most AV vendors put more emphasis on scanning for "signatures" of known viruses. This is the reason nearly all AV products are paid for on a subscription basis, because those signature databases need to be constantly updated as new viruses are released in order to be effective.

So, if a company is selling you a subscription to their product (as Symantec does), then the product's main selling feature is its frequently updated signatures database. Since there's no known OS X viruses, what else could those files contain when the updates arrive?

Why create such a product? Well, it's not exactly good business practice to not offer a product to a large segment of the market you cater to. This is precisely why every time there is a Mac OS X security hole or a trojan, companies like Symantec and Intego are the first to sensationalize the story - even when there are no exploits in the wild, or the trojan is confined to a lab environment. Simply put, they prey on fear and ignorance. The sheep must be kept in the pen!

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Anti-Virus products work in two ways. A good AV product will employ some form of 'heuristics', basically using artificial intelligence to try to detect virus-like activity. Heuristic analysis, more often than not, produces more false positives and system slowness than actually catching anything. So, most AV vendors put more emphasis on scanning for "signatures" of known viruses. This is the reason nearly all AV products are paid for on a subscription basis, because those signature databases need to be constantly updated as new viruses are released in order to be effective.

So, if a company is selling you a subscription to their product (as Symantec does), then the product's main selling feature is its frequently updated signatures database. Since there's no known OS X viruses, what else could those files contain when the updates arrive?

Why create such a product? Well, it's not exactly good business practice to not offer a product to a large segment of the market you cater to. This is precisely why every time there is a Mac OS X security hole or a trojan, companies like Symantec and Intego are the first to sensationalize the story - even when there are no exploits in the wild, or the trojan is confined to a lab environment. Simply put, they prey on fear and ignorance. The sheep must be kept in the pen!
Well..ick. I haven't ran the AV on my Power Mac in about a month.

QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

As everyone has stated here: Mac OS X has no viruses. (But that doesn't mean there never will be)

Now, all we need is:

What version of Mac OS X are you using?
We know you have a MacBook Pro, but which one?

Though (as far as I know) that there are a few trojans, if anything you would've had to execute something for a trojan to start. If Safari and/or FireFox refuses to work, more than likely you just need to clear your cookies, though, someone here who has better knowledge in web browsing will clear that one up and correct me.

Don't you worry, you are in good hands on this forum

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« all my desktop icons are gone from the screen and my Mac is frozen | OSX Server software »