Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2009
    Posts
    6
    Unhappy my Firefox gets stack all time
    HELPP!!!

    I have a macbook pro and i think i got a virus. There is a one going around facebook on videos. I clicked on it but supposedly macs do not get virus it shouldn't be affected. Now i realise that my Firefox gets stack all time, something that never happened before. The same happens with Safari and youtube too!!!
    They told me that this new virus affects macs too because another mac user is also affected by it (her mac does not open!)
    Please HELPPP. do i have a virus? how can i remove it?????

  2. #2

    Eric559's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2007
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,185
    Specs:
    2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
    There are no viruses on Mac.
    Member Of The Month for December '08.
    It's only the internet!

  3. #3

    clayneal's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Posts
    2,146
    Specs:
    late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
    That's right no Mac virus. If there was it would lead the nightly news. And be on the front page of every newspaper.
    MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
    That's right no Mac virus. If there was it would lead the nightly news. And be on the front page of every newspaper.
    oh thank God!!! is there a way to check for viruses for just in case though?

  5. #5

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,455
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    There are so many Windows viruses floating around Facebook, any time someone has a problem with their computer it's immediately blamed on a virus.

    To reiterate Eric559, there are no viruses that can function in OS X at this time.

    There are a couple of Trojans. They will only run in OS X if you downloaded, and entered your admin password when you installed it. Didn't do that, you don't have one of those either.

    You would be better off starting over, calm down, take a breath and stating whatever problem you may be having, plainly, along with what Mac you have and which version OS X you are using in order to get some help troubleshooting.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  6. #6

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,841
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  7. #7

    Chris H.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 03, 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    2,633
    As everyone has stated here: Mac OS X does not get viruses.

    And if anything, no matter what computer (Windows machine or Apple), you should ALWAYS have anti-virus software (which can also detect trojans and other malicious software). Now, all we need is:

    What version of Mac OS X are you using?
    We know you have a MacBook Pro, but which one?
    And if anything here, do you have av software? If you do, run a full and complete scan.

    Though (as far as I know) that there are a few trojans, if anything you would've had to execute something for a trojan to start. If Safari and/or FireFox refuses to work, more than likely you just need to clear your cookies, though, someone here who has better knowledge in web browsing will clear that one up and correct me. Don't you worry, you are in good hands on this forum, and there is no need to be freaking out.
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9 Beta
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9 Beta
     Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.5
     MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.11 Beta

  8. #8

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,841
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
    As everyone has stated here: Mac OS X does not get viruses.
    This implies that the OS is impervious to viruses. Just to clarify, there are currently no viruses (by the strictest of definitions) for OS X. That doesn't mean that there never will be - eventually someone will come along with a true virus, it's only a matter of time.

    At the moment, there are a couple of trojans, associated with a video player/codec. One must implicitly install these programs in order to be effected. The symptoms of such an installation (I'm loathe to use the term "infection", because it's intentionally inflicted) are being redirected to other websites other than the ones you intend to go to.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  9. #9

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,455
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
    ...

    And if anything, no matter what computer (Windows machine or Apple), you should ALWAYS have anti-virus software (which can also detect trojans and other malicious software). Now, all we need is:

    ...
    I would disagree with that statement, as I believe, the vast majority of OS X users would. There is absolutely no good reason why I would need an anti-virus app that can only detect windows viruses running full time on my Mac.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  10. #10

    Chris H.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 03, 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    2,633
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    I would disagree with that statement. As I believe, the vast majority of OS X users would. There is absolutely no good reason why I would need an anti-virus app that can only detect windows viruses running full time on my Mac.
    I guess you have a point, but I stated that as an "in case" thing. Like in case something new pops up in the wild. Are you saying that the majority of Mac OS X av apps scan for Windows stuff? That makes no sense!

    @cwa

    "This implies that the OS is impervious to viruses. Just to clarify, there are currently no viruses (by the strictest of definitions) for OS X. That doesn't mean that there never will be - eventually someone will come along with a true virus, it's only a matter of time."

    That I knew. There could be one day, but at the present moment, well...that's why I stated that.
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9 Beta
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9 Beta
     Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.5
     MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.11 Beta

  11. #11

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,841
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
    I guess you have a point, but I stated that as an "in case" thing. Like in case something new pops up in the wild. Are you saying that the majority of Mac OS X av apps scan for Windows? That makes no sense!
    That is correct. Since there are no viruses in the wild, the definition file updates you receive, contain signatures of the latest Windows-based malware. And for the privilege of being able to detect Windows-only nasties, you get to pay companies like Intego $70+ per year. Because, you see, when you purchase their product, you are buying an annual subscription for that dubious benefit.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  12. #12

    Chris H.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 03, 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    2,633
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    That is correct. Since there are no viruses in the wild, the definition file updates you receive, contain signatures of the latest Windows-based malware. And for the privilege of being able to detect Windows-only nasties, you get to pay companies like Intego $70+ per year. Because, you see, when you purchase their product, you are buying an annual subscription for that dubious benefit.
    What about Symantec for Mac? (Basically a higher end version of Norton AV for Mac). This grinds my teeth, I mean, why create it if it's just going to scan for Windows malware?
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9 Beta
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9 Beta
     Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.5
     MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.11 Beta

  13. #13

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,841
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
    What about Symantec for Mac? (Basically a higher end version of Norton AV for Mac). This grinds my teeth, I mean, why create it if it's just going to scan for Windows malware?
    Anti-Virus products work in two ways. A good AV product will employ some form of 'heuristics', basically using artificial intelligence to try to detect virus-like activity. Heuristic analysis, more often than not, produces more false positives and system slowness than actually catching anything. So, most AV vendors put more emphasis on scanning for "signatures" of known viruses. This is the reason nearly all AV products are paid for on a subscription basis, because those signature databases need to be constantly updated as new viruses are released in order to be effective.

    So, if a company is selling you a subscription to their product (as Symantec does), then the product's main selling feature is its frequently updated signatures database. Since there's no known OS X viruses, what else could those files contain when the updates arrive?

    Why create such a product? Well, it's not exactly good business practice to not offer a product to a large segment of the market you cater to. This is precisely why every time there is a Mac OS X security hole or a trojan, companies like Symantec and Intego are the first to sensationalize the story - even when there are no exploits in the wild, or the trojan is confined to a lab environment. Simply put, they prey on fear and ignorance. The sheep must be kept in the pen!
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  14. #14

    Chris H.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 03, 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    2,633
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Anti-Virus products work in two ways. A good AV product will employ some form of 'heuristics', basically using artificial intelligence to try to detect virus-like activity. Heuristic analysis, more often than not, produces more false positives and system slowness than actually catching anything. So, most AV vendors put more emphasis on scanning for "signatures" of known viruses. This is the reason nearly all AV products are paid for on a subscription basis, because those signature databases need to be constantly updated as new viruses are released in order to be effective.

    So, if a company is selling you a subscription to their product (as Symantec does), then the product's main selling feature is its frequently updated signatures database. Since there's no known OS X viruses, what else could those files contain when the updates arrive?

    Why create such a product? Well, it's not exactly good business practice to not offer a product to a large segment of the market you cater to. This is precisely why every time there is a Mac OS X security hole or a trojan, companies like Symantec and Intego are the first to sensationalize the story - even when there are no exploits in the wild, or the trojan is confined to a lab environment. Simply put, they prey on fear and ignorance. The sheep must be kept in the pen!
    Well..ick. I haven't ran the AV on my Power Mac in about a month.
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9 Beta
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9 Beta
     Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.5
     MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.11 Beta

  15. #15

    Chris H.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 03, 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    2,633
    Okay, re edit here.
    As everyone has stated here: Mac OS X has no viruses. (But that doesn't mean there never will be)

    Now, all we need is:

    What version of Mac OS X are you using?
    We know you have a MacBook Pro, but which one?

    Though (as far as I know) that there are a few trojans, if anything you would've had to execute something for a trojan to start. If Safari and/or FireFox refuses to work, more than likely you just need to clear your cookies, though, someone here who has better knowledge in web browsing will clear that one up and correct me.

    Don't you worry, you are in good hands on this forum
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9 Beta
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9 Beta
     Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.5
     MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.11 Beta

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot Find Firefox Files in Time Machine
    By Rick T in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2015, 01:07 PM
  2. Time Machine and Firefox Hijacked!
    By Marvin42 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 01:22 AM
  3. Why does Lion crash every time I try to use Firefox?
    By Sprogmeister in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-31-2011, 07:31 PM
  4. Redirected on FireFox all the time
    By HeyYo in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 07:19 PM
  5. Have to re-install Firefox 2.0 every time I login
    By JPig116 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 04:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •