New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Snow Leopard,going back to Leopard!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pbrokaw

pbrokaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook,2.2 dual core.120gb .1gb ram.superdrive.

Guys and Gals:

I am tired of Apple "vista" AKA Snow Leopard. I need to revert back to Leopard as it is stable and works!!!
I bought an external drive,moved my photos and will be moving iTunes and other files and stuff.

Whats involved in nuking the hard drive and starting fresh please.
Thanks

Perry
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

If your not happy with SL, just pop in the Leopard disc and boot from it. Then choose Clean Install which will format your drive and install a clean version of Leopard. Make sure you have everything backed up that you want.
QUOTE Thanks
appleXcore

appleXcore can only hope to improve

i thin you will find in the LONG RUN, the SL works better.

OS X 10.6.4
2GB RAM
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
QUOTE Thanks
B-Ryan

B-Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleXcore View Post
i thin you will find in the LONG RUN, the SL works better.
When you say in the long run; are you talking about when they fix it?

SL is no way ready for power users. I have a new macbook pro 2.93 with 4g's of ram; and SL along with my daily routine of front end web development, brought my system to a halt. I was left with 10mb of ram.

Now that I am back on my old osx, I can get work done again.

16GB iPhone
17" MacBook Pro 2.93, 320@7200, glossy
http://www.bryanborst.com
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I'm amazed at the problems some people report with SL. I have yet to upgrade, and I'll wait awhile longer. But, my suspicion is still that the SL problems have more to do with what else is installed on individual computers than with the OS itself. There's still some "catching up" to do.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Honestly toMACsh, so am I - I've had exactly 3 problems with my Macs since upgrading to SL -

1) going to Yahoo!'s mail page, and clicking on my inbox (obviously before the main yahoo mail script completes) causes safari to crash.

2) Sometimes there are browser election issues when sitting in a windows workgroup where I don't always see all of the systems in my workgroup in my finder (this problem doesn't appear to exist in a domain environment)

3) The way they changed how the IR remote works in that it tends to launch iTunes even if another program has focus and is being controlled by the remote.

#2 isn't always an issue as usually a powercycle will fix the election issue for me at least

#1 is a pain, but I just try to not speed click thru yahoo mails page.

#3 there is a third party free program that replaces the Apple IR control software and takes care of the issue. Problem solved.

Other than that - the only other problems I have run into was because I was using extra addons that weren't SL compatible, and once removed it eliminated other issues.

I've done hours of video work on my machines since upgrading to SL using FCS2 and it seems to work great for me, and now I'm really happy that VMWare released a new version of Fusion to take advantage of more SL features.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Suiname

Suiname is on a distinguished road

I've been having problems with snow leopard also, and my mac mini is brand new (arrived last week, new model offered 10/20). The problem I have has to do with video playback on my mini, it's really choppy and goes out of sync/drops frames frequently. The strange thing is, it's not just HD video, DVDs and Divx does this too. I'm currently installing a copy of 10.5 on a USB HD to see if this fixes things.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

You've got something else going on - I play 720p video all the time, and even some 1080i video on my mini running 10.6, most of the 720p streamed over wireless, and I'm not seeing what you're seeing Suiname. I'd check the basic troubleshooting guide in this forum and start investigating - you definitely shouldn't have problems watching regular DVDs.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
exncite

exncite is on a distinguished road

I installed SL on my iMac. Really only have one annoying thing that drives me nuts. I still use an MSN e-mail and when I open an e-mail, all I get is gibberish. Links work if I click on them (I can tell by the color of the letters). Copy and paste in another program doesn't help.

Oh by the way, this happens in Safari but not in Firefox. Didn't happen before SL. I've reset Safari, emptied the cache and nothing has helped. Even the guys at the Apple store couldn't figure it out.

Like I say, annoying, but something I'd expect from Microsoft, not Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I haven't experienced any performance issues with either leopard or snow leopard.... other than Safari, which I only use to download items from Apple, and otherwise, I have always used firefox, which has given me no grief.
I suspect that there are 2 reasons other than being fortunate .....I always do a clean install, including clean installations of software, also, that I have never made a windows partition on my Macs (nor would I want to). If I had to use windows, I would buy a cheap PC specifically for that.
Just an observation, but it's seems that majority of people who have had problems, either did a simple upgrade, and moved everything across from 3rd party software, etc, as well as having windows partitions.
The other problem that I have noticed from other users, is with incompatible 3rd party software, or software like photoshop, where developers have lagged behind, and are offering no support.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I had some pretty major issues with 10.6, but doing a clean install and selectively importing my data/docs/apps and settings corrected them all. As with Leopard, if you do a straight upgrade, that seems to be the most problematic route.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post

#3 there is a third party free program that replaces the Apple IR control software and takes care of the issue. Problem solved.
Can you please post the details to this fix.
It is the one thing i have found really annoying !!!!!

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
flowrider

flowrider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)

The fact that my Konica Minolta colour laser printer is no longer supported was enough for me to downgrade back to Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowrider View Post
The fact that my Konica Minolta colour laser printer is no longer supported was enough for me to downgrade back to Leopard.
Did you check?....
New Operating Systems - Support | KONICA MINOLTA
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckle1271

Chuckle1271 is on a distinguished road

I have read a lot of people not liking SL due to Safari issues. What about the fact the QuickTime Pro is also gone?!?! After I had to buy it yet AGAIN. Apple has really F'ed up this time. I will be backing up my current system and downgrading as well. I used to be able to edit video easily and very well. It's not so now. I don't know what is involved in downgrading, but I am going to buy a large FireWire 2 external hard drive and back up with TimeMachine for starters.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder constantly crashes at startup and dock apps dont start | What is this? »