New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - School Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fippil

Fippil is on a distinguished road

Ok, so we got our school Macbook's today, and I was happy because I thought I would be able to maybe bootcamp it and play some games since this macbook is slightly better than my other mac, but they blocked EVERYTHING on the macbooks. You can install anything into the app folder because it requires a admin pass and so does trying to update your os. Certain folders have the red sign the the minus sign in it. Does anyone know I could bypass this all? I want to actually use this laptop, it's not like I'm going to load it with torrents, just install a game or two and test out the laptop's capabilities... If anyone knows how to get past the blocks, then that would be phenomenal.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Sorry but I can't help you. If it's not your own property, you should respect the rights of the owner (school in this case) and just enjoy the fact that they gave you a Macbook to use.

EDIT: Maybe you can talk to an administrator and tell them what you want, they might be nice enough to do it for you.
QUOTE Thanks
Fippil

Well we had to pay 50$ to use them for the year, I think we should be able to use them. They won't even let you change the desktop background for christ's sake.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Yeah and we pay 75 dollars to use the Mac lab. At least you get to bring it home. We have to stay at school to use their equipment and they are monitoring us 24/7.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I understand your frustration, but I honestly wouldn't even know how to disable it. Look on the bright side, unlike Crimson and I, you get to bring them home. We had to sit in a lab all night to work on stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
Fippil

Wow, that sucks, man. There's really no point in this laptop now. Waste of 50$. I'm surprised that I was able to install WoW, at least.
QUOTE Thanks
ZorroAMG

ZorroAMG is a jewel in the roughZorroAMG is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |

It's a school tool, not a game console. Such is life, I guess.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fippil View Post
Wow, that sucks, man. There's really no point in this laptop now. Waste of 50$.
What's worse...spending $50 bucks for a 1 year use of a laptop...or paying at least $1000 of your own money to buy a laptop...and in 1 year it's probably worth $700???

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Fippil

I suppose the second one
QUOTE Thanks
nabl

nabl has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09

Also, are you sure that you weren't agreeing to some set of terms by renting the laptop? Whether it "sucks" or not, if it's not your property and you agreed to the terms, it would irresponsible (and potentially illegal) to break them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fippil
There's really no point in this laptop now.
There must be some reason they lent it to you—perhaps to complete schoolwork on it. If you truly feel you're being excessively limited, talk to an administrator like Todd mentioned above.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fippil View Post
I suppose the second one
I know that it sucks not being able to do everything you want with the "school supplied" MacBook...but it's still better than no MacBook at all.

Like you said...you were able to install WoW on it.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Hey at least YOU get MacBooks, period. My school is so stupid in that they want to save energy, and trim money spending in the IT department. Uh hello? Move away from Windows into something else!

So, consider yourself lucky in that you get to use a Mac, while everyday (for the last oh, 11 years) I've been with Windows at my schools. You can probably talk to an administrator and see what happens.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I seriously doubt they are going to be sympathetic to the OPs cause.

If it was to install something that is school related then maybe.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I don´t have the bluetooth icon on the system preferences window | File/Folder browsing on Tiger 10.4.11 »