New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook - 64 Bit Mac OSX Leopord

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kickinthegroin

kickinthegroin is on a distinguished road

Hey there,

I recently saw online that you can set up your MacBook OS in 64 Bit. I'm in university and use Photoshop and a animation program called Maya and having a 64bit OS would be wonderful.

I came across this site

Macintosh Performance Guide: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Booting the 64-bit Kernel

which explained how to go about setting up 64Bit. For some reason my MacBook will not start up in 64 bit. I have held down "6" and "4" at the start up screen and changed my settings about but still it wont. I've checked using the Terminal (like it says in the link) and it does say that 64 bit in compatible with my laptop. Here are my sepcs

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB31.008E.B02
SMC Version (system): 1.24f2
Serial Number (system): W87470EF0NE
Hardware UUID: E6D60319-C2E0-5213-8521-787C70763278
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

If someone could help me out, or even just say that my laptop doesn't support 64 bit, I would be very happy

Thank you

PM
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Why do you want it to boot in 64-Bit? There's a reason Apple has all non-server machines default to the 32-bit kernel.

Read more here:

64-bit and Snow Leopard – What 64-bit means for you

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinthegroin View Post
Hey there,

I recently saw online that you can set up your MacBook OS in 64 Bit. I'm in university and use Photoshop and a animation program called Maya and having a 64bit OS would be no different.
Fixed that for you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« default email program | How to unlock files uploaded on ftp »