New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - shared folder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris57701

Chris57701 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 15"

Ok what I'm trying to do is very simple.. I want to share my pictures folder over my home network.

I marked the folder as shared and in system preferences I turned on file sharing with FTP access.

When I connect to the shared folder with my ubuntu laptop, instead of just getting the folder I shared I get the entire computer.. so I created a new sharing only user, but I cannot access the shared folder when I try to login with that new username/password.

If I elevate that shared account to a standard account I can access my mac from ubuntu but I get that users entire home directory..

How can I just setup a single shared folder without access to the entire hard drive, and how can I access that shared folder without having to setup another user account on my mac.. that seems ridiculous to me.

I hope its just something I over looked..
QUOTE Thanks
Chris57701

Chris57701 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 15"

Such a responsive community...

Anyway for anyone else that comes across this issue:

Create a share only account, enable SMB file sharing in system preferences, make sure you add you share account name to the access list for the directory and apply to all enclosed items.

On your other computer you should be able to access the shared folder by using either the mac's computer name or its IP address (computer name is better for networks that use DHCP), then login with your shared accounts login/passwd.

Not sure why FTP wont work or why I have to use SMB but whatever, it works.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows - Mac transfering files? | bootcamp restore »