New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Switching from Panther to Tiger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

athousandmillio

athousandmillio is on a distinguished road

I confess, I'm still using 10.3.9. I know it is completely ridiculous that I haven't updated my OS since '04, but let's just say I haven't had disposable income since then. Now, however, I'm finding myself further and further down a road to obscurity and need to make an update. I can't afford a whole new computer, but Tiger seems doable.

My questions are:
1. Do I need to do a full install of Tiger or can I do an upgrade from Panther?
2. I use a lot of Adobe software that my old job gave me, and I can't re-install any of it because they have the discs. Can my Adobe programs transfer to Tiger without re-installing?
3. I'm using a Second Generation G4 (with plenty of RAM), is Tiger going to even run remotely right on my machine?
4. Should I tell everyone who is even considering giving me a Christmas present to just make it cash so I can throw it all in on a new MacBook and Adobe CS4?

thanks,
athousandmillio
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Answers to questions:

1. There is an upgrade install disk available. You can no longer purchase Tiger install disks from the Apple Store. You either need to get them on e-Bay, Craig's List, call Apple customer service, etc.

2. Maybe, maybe not. You need to visit the Adobe website to see what the OS requirements are for the versions of the programs you have.

3. More than likely no problem.

4. YES YES YES YES!!!

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Spoof a windows letter drive | Difficulty migrating from a Time Machine backup »