New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - I deleted my documents thing on my dock.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jstew132

jstew132 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.1 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250gb

I deleted my documents thing on my dock and need help getting it back there. Anyone got any ideas? Its the regular leopard OS btw.
QUOTE Thanks
viWoody

viWoody is on a distinguished road

open Finder and drag your Documents folder back onto the Dock.
QUOTE Thanks
jstew132

jstew132 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.1 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250gb

tried that. it didn't work...any other ideas. right now all i have is a question mark thing there.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Try again - that's how it's done.

or give us a pic of your "question mark thing".

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Are you dragging it to the Right side of the Dock where the trash can is? If you drag Documents to the Left Side of the dock where the Applications are, it will not work.

A question mark usually indicates a bad path.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It can be tricky, the key is to drag it to the bottom of the dock and wait for the other icons to move to the sides. Watch the video here:

http://home.comcast.net/~cwa107/foru...10-20_1701.swf

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
thrinfo

thrinfo is on a distinguished road

I've tried it with the application and it doesn't work, I've receive my MBP without the application icon on the dock.

G4, 440 Mhz, 1.5 Ghz ram.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstew132 View Post
right now all i have is a question mark thing there.
As stated above, that usually means a bad path. Did you move the folder? (In Leopard, that's not possible. It copies the folder.) If the icon is of no use to you, drag it out of the Dock, and it will disappear. Then follow the instructions above as to the correct side to drag the icon to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrinfo View Post
I've tried it with the application and it doesn't work,
Do you mean the Applications folder? If so, that has to go to the right side of the Dock. Read the posts above.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've tried it with the application and it doesn't work, I've receive my MBP without the application icon on the dock.
What part of it "doesn't work"? Are you having trouble navigating to the folder you want to drag, or are you having trouble placing that folder on the dock? Did you watch the video I posted and follow it precisely (i.e. dragging to the right side of the dock, near the trash)?

I'm sorry, but you'll need to elaborate a bit. Think of it this way - if you were having trouble with your car, you wouldn't describe the symptoms to the mechanic as "it doesn't work".

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

and for thrinfo - what version of OS X do you have?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
thrinfo

I'm was on Leopard and upgrade to SnowLeopard and still the same, And about dragging, I can drag programs but no folder, so I created a folder shortcut to compensate.
If I tried to drag the application folder to copy it in the dock, it refuse and fall on the desktop, so I've got to drag it back to his original folder.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I'm was on Leopard and upgrade to SnowLeopard and still the same, And about dragging, I can drag programs but no folder, so I created a folder shortcut to compensate.
If I tried to drag the application folder to copy it in the dock, it refuse and fall on the desktop, so I've got to drag it back to his original folder.
Time to take it to the Apple Store. I don't think there's any more we can do for you here.

QUOTE Thanks
thrinfo

Just been able to return it to is place, it took the place of the folder shortcut and replace the content but still keeping with the shortcut arrow on the folder.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Automator workflow to disable MBP screen | Keychain/password saving problems »